Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'm Watching My School Daze 书包太重

Pic Source : http://wiki.d-addicts.com/My_School_Daze

Well, I am watching My School Daze 书包太重, albeit at a crawling pace. It is a pretty lighthearted drama, especially, after the angst the Little Nyonya gave me.

In My School Daze, the children are all pressured by their parents to achieve excellent results - by attending tuitions classes for many subjects, and by doing exercises after exercises. All other activities such as sports and games, deemed unimportant or irrelevant, are discouraged. I really pity the children.

My School Daze questions the current education system in Singapore. Is academic pursuits everything? I remember vividly the character of the Uncle who says he doesn't know whether it is the parents, or the children, or the education system is sick.

Well, I do relate the teacher, Mr. Tan. His students are uninterested in learning Chinese, and some are rather nasty and disrespectful. Hmn . . . there's nothing more demotivating than to have students who are not interested in your lessons. As for all the disrespectful students all over the world, I would really love to knock them all senseless! I bet Mr. Tan would too!

In one scene, Xiangfeng scrawled some Chinese characters on the board, and requests for the students to copy them down. I laughed. Teachers don't scrawl on the board like that!! They need to make sure what is written on the board is clear enough for the students to copy down. Lol.

My favourite character is Fatty Bon Bon - I think he's just so cute. He comes out with very interesting excuses about why he should not study so hard and looks for ways to skip a tuition class. In addition, I do look forward to watching the story of his family unfold. His is really a hilarious family.

Well, I do wonder if all Singapore schools look as good as they do on television - they look so bright and so clean!! My principal did suggest we visit schools in Singapore. Now with Airasia flying Miri-Singapore direct, maybe we should take up the idea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...