Sunday, July 19, 2009

Teaching and Learning Open Forum 2009 : Engaging Learners

I was at the Curtin University Sarawak campus today for a Teaching and Learning Open Forum with the theme, "Engaging Learners".

Well, a lot of learning took place for me today. So much so that I was mentally exhausted when I got home. In fact as I'm typing this post, my mind is only functioning partially.

In her keynote address, Prof. Joan Gribble mentioned that teachers need to enthrall learners by getting them involved mentally, physically, and emotionally. Well, I do agree that the emotion plays a very important role in learning. There is a difference between learning for the sake of learning, and learning because of the passion you have for something.

I also listened with interest when the other speakers shared their experiences about engaging learnings in L2 vocabulary develpment, creating different classroom and engaging diversified student groups. Lots of practical ideas shared, and I do look forward to applying them in my own classrooms.

In the afternoon, I attended a workshop by Shamsul Kamariah Abdullah, the Dean of the School of Business on "The Art of (Super) Teaching". Now, Sham did manage to engage the participants with very unorthodox teaching techniques. They piqued curiosity, and enticed participants to come back for more. Very interesting indeed!!

Soft toys and race cars?

Sham had all these curiosities placed on the table in front of the lecture room. How interesting. Bring those into the classroom and I'm sure students would be interested!!! And they would probably remember you for life!!! Lol!!!

Me!!

A very interesting activity which involved drawing people's faces on balloons. That's me, drawn by a member in my group!! Thankfully I look prettier in real life!!! Lol!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...