Friday, July 17, 2009

Dragon Fruit 火龍果

Mom tells me to eat fruits every day. So, I do try my best to eat at least a piece of fruit a day. My staple is apples and oranges.

I usually eat apples and oranges

But sometimes, I try to eat other fruits as well. One of the fruits that I sometimes like to buy is the dragon fruit.

Dragon fruit

It used to be quite expensive here in Miri, but as more and more people cultivate it, harvest becomes plentiful and the price drops. I bought 2 big pieces this week for only RM4.50. Well, maybe it's because they're bought from a friend of a friend of a friend, who has a dragon fruit orchard or something like that.

There are two types of dragon fruit sold here in Miri, with the red-fleshed one being more popular than the white-fleshed one. The flesh is akin to the kiwi fruit, because of the tiny black crunchy seeds. The flesh is sweet, but can be tasteless sometimes.

Halved dragon fruit

I like to eat the Dragon Fruit chilled, as it brings out the flavour.

Cut dragon fruit

Another thing I love about this fruit is the bright colour. I don't know how to describe its shade - somewhere between cerise and magenta, but definitely pretty.

Well, I won't say that I'm crazy about this fruit, but it does provide some variety to my otherwise boring apple-and-orange staple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...