Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sugar Bun : Fish Burger

Sugar Bun has been in Sarawak for a long time. Way back when I was a kid, there was a big outlet just opposite my school. Sometimes, my classmates and I would have our meals there during our lunch break, especially when we had extra curricular activities in the afternoon.

Do you know what I remember the most about Sugar Bun in the old days? Well, it was the chilli sauce. I remember it because I really liked the chilli sauce. In the past, 2 clear plastic squeeze bottles were placed on every table. One was tomato sauce and the other was filled with chilli sauce. The chilli sauce was light and hot and sweet, and it went very well with the broasted chicken, fish, burgers and fries. Now, Sugar Bun, like every other fast food restaurant, resort to factory manufactured sauces like Kimball or Maggi or Life.

The thing that always disappoints me about Sugar Bun is the quality of the food. It fails to keep up to a standard. I used to like the savoury rice. But now, the rice practically has no flavour. It is just salty. The other thing is the shabby look of the restaurants. The Boulevard Hypermarket Miri outlet, for example, looks ever so dim. Every time I walk past, I am just not tempted to eat there. The best looking outlet to date would be the one at The Spring Kuching. Clean. Colourful. Brightly lit.

Many of my friends said that they liked the Fish Burger at Sugar Bun. One of my friends from KL specifically mentioned that she never failed to eat the Fish Burger at Sugar Bun every time she came to Sarawak.

Well, I liked the Fish Burger too. It is just that I don't really eat it often, afraid that I will be disappointed. I prefer to remember the Fish Burger like it used to be, rather than to eat a mediocre one now, and then to have to delete the yummy Fish Burger from my memory. Like I said, Sugar Bun can really disappoint at times.

Today, my friend and I dropped by at Sugar Bun Bintang Plaza Megamall, only because we could not get a table at Pizza Hut. It was 2.30 p.m., and the place was packed and the queues were long, and the service was thus slow. Only one poor worker was clearing the tables. As soon as a table was clear, it was snapped up by customers.

Only 2 tables were not occupied. Why? They were meant for elves.

Tiny tables and tiny chairs for tiny tots @ Sugar Bun Bintang Plaza Megamall

Well, actually they were meant for children. They were real cute. I wish I could sit on them. I believe that the Sugar Bun management meant well and considered seating for children. But children obviously have to sit with their parents. Duh!! How do they expect parents to sit on those tiny chairs. They would look ridiculous!!

My Fish Burger arrived in a white paper bag.


I peeked inside my bag, and saw my Fish Burger nestled comfortably inside.


I slid it out and unwrapped the grease-proof paper to see my Fish Burger.


See what's between the buns. Thick slices of cucumber, tartare sauce, and deep-fried fish fillet.

Pour chilli sauce over fish. Put back the bun and take a bite.


It is the tartare sauce that makes the Fish Burger yummy. I'm glad today's Fish Burger was nice.

Talking about Sugar Bun Fish Burger, I will always remember a story that my friend told me. Tired and hungry after a long day at work, my friend dropped by a Sugar Bun outlet and ordered a Fish Burger to takeaway. When she reached home, she thought she would wind down and take a relaxing shower before she enjoyed her Fish Burger. When she was done, she sat down and unwrapped her burger happily. She lifted the bun and to her horror, there was no fish. The cucumbers and tartare sauce were there, but the fish fillet was missing. Fuming mad, she wrapped up the burger nicely and put it in the refrigerator. The next day, she went back to Sugar Bun and demanded her money back!! Lol. My poor friend had to eat instant noodles that night.

The moral of the story? Always check your orders the next time you are at Sugar Bun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...