Monday, July 20, 2009

Beef Noodles With A Little Drama On The Side

Nancy’s at 28 Food Centre sells beef noodles, laksa, and seafood noodles. While her beef noodles and laksa are quite well-known, I have yet to try the seafood noodles, which costs a hefty RM10 per serving. I have observed other people eating this, though. The noodles are tossed and served separately with the seafood broth. The seafood broth comes in a little wok.

Again, this stall is the reason why 28 Food Centre is so packed in the morning. The beef noodles sell off really fast. I was there one time at 10.30 a.m., and upon ordering was told that there wasn’t any more beef noodles. I was really disappointed.

Today, my friend and I went to Nancy's before 10.00 a.m., and were delighted that beef noodles were still available. We had to wait for about half an hour for our food to arrive as there was a big crowd.

A normal serving of beef noodles set customers back by RM6.00. The noodles are tossed in a concoction of beef gravy and onion oil. The noodles are bouncy and chewy, and the gravy fragrant. Today's noodle servings seemed quite generous.

Dry-tossed beef noodles

Accompanying the noodles is a bowl of soup. It has blanched bean sprouts, salted vegetable strips, tripe, and slivers of beef in it. The soup is topped with some cilantro. The tripe and beef were tender, the vegetables crunchy and crisp, the soup was really robust with flavour.

Delicious beef soup

Nancy's beef noodles is served with a blend of chilli-garlic-ginger sauce. This spicy and sourish sauce goes very well with the noodles.

Chilli sauce

Now, having patronised Nancy's for a long time, I've seen the evolution of her beef noodles over time. She used to sell dry beef noodles and beef noodle soup. But now, there is no choice. All noodles are tossed and served with soup. In the past, she had beef balls in the soup, but today they appeared to be missing. Once, she even served a beef bone in the soup. My friends and I often made fun of the bone. Lol.

What never fail to amuse me every time I eat there is the bickering between the couple and their daughter. They are always loud as they argue back and forth, perhaps in good nature, as they cook their noodles and serve the customers. Nevertheless, I am always amused.

Well, if you want to eat good beef noodles, and perhaps care for a little drama on the side, Nancy's is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...