Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cafe 21

An advertisement on the radio prompted me to write this post :)

Well, I'm a coffee drinker. A cup a day is common. Sometimes, I even have 2 cups, though I seldom drink more than that.

Whenever it is raining, I will be tempted to make myself a cup of coffee. I do not know why, but I do love the smell of coffee on a cold day. Hmn .... perhaps the cold weather enhances the aroma. Whatever it is, there's just something about a hot cuppa on a cold, cold day. It definitely makes me feel warm and comfy.

Avid coffee drinkers do not go for instant coffee. But for me, instant coffee is a staple. There are many brands of instant coffee in the market, from Nescafe to Indocafe to Kopiko and so on and so forth. Everyone has their favourite brands, with Nescafe being a household name. But for me, my larder is always stocked with Cafe 21.

Have you ever heard of Cafe 21? Over the airwaves of Hitz FM this morning, a Cafe 21 advertisement was broadcasted. And it somehow prompted me to blog about it. Lol.

Well, Cafe 21 is one of my favourite instant coffee mixes. It is a two-in-one coffeemix, which means that it is sugar-free. It is manufactured in Singapore.

Cafe 21 was first introduced to my household by my Aunt A******. Aunt A******, who lives and works in Singapore, loved this instant coffee. And when she came back one time, she recommended it to the whole family. Soon every single of my relatives started drinking this coffee mix. Dad, who has gastric problems, only drinks Cafe 21, as it didn't cause him to burp excessively.

Cafe 21 is not widely available in this part of the country. Only certain supermarkets in Kuching stock this coffeemix. Hence, Dad sometimes gets his supply in Kuala Lumpur. Currently, in Miri, I can find Cafe 21 at Ng Sian Hup and at Giant Supermarket, and hence I will purchase a few packets at one go.

I like the fact that Cafe 21 is sugar-free. Other brands in the market are mostly sweetened. Nescafe did come out with 2-in-1 sachets. But what makes me dumbfounded is that the 2-in-1 is more expensive than the 3-in-1.

At my neighbourhood supermarket, 25 sachets of Nescafe 2-in-1 costs RM11.60. While, 30 sachets of Nescafe 3-in-1 regular costs RM12.30. This makes each sachet of 2-in-1 5 cents more expensive! Minus sugar. Increase price. Erm. Where is the logic?


Cafe 21 sells at only RM8.90 for 25 sachets at Ng Sian Hup. Being cheaper doesn't mean that the this instant coffee lacks in taste. In fact, Cafe 21 is fragrant, rich and smooth. Yum. So why don't you give it a try today?

17 comments:

  1. Cafe21 supporter,KLJuly 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM

    Dear INID2TELL:
    Well, i just happened to bump into this article in your blog when i searched "Cafe 21" on internet. Being a coffee drinker & very particular in the quality, I totally agree with your comments about the quality & taste of Cafe 21. I've been sticking to this brand since early year 2000 & it;s been almost 13 years now. The quality (specifically the aroma & taste) has been maintained so well throughout these years, despite the price did raised compared the early days. Once in a blue moon, I might have chance to try other brands of instant coffee, but all of them were to my disappointment. They were either too sweet or very artificial in aroma. Today, not only myself & family consistently supporting Cafe 21, my 90-year-old grandma, aunts & family, boyfriend & colleague are also fans of Cafe 21. Thousands of "thank you" to the committed team of Cafe 21 in maintaining the quality throughout these years & never dissapointing us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cafe 21 supporter, thanks for reading. My Cafe 21 post was written more than 3 years ago, so it's been quite a while already. I may consider a re-post. Now, over where I am, the price has increased to RM10.90 for a pack of 25 sachets. Despite that, yes, I am still drinking this brand of coffee. Over her, there is still not many who know of this brand. But it's been my favourite thus far. Sometimes, to indulge myself, I combine 2 sachets and make myself a big mug! That is really enjoyable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. agree to you! but thank god that i still able to get it for RM8.20 in local mini marketlast 2 week. I've tasted the pink color version of the cafe 21 that is low fat (lesser creamer i believed) it was so rich and yummy but just too bad that I couldnt find it anymore... wish they didnt discontinue it..i will keep looking for it
    (cafe 21 lover, KL) Nov 2014

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anonymous, I've not seen the pink sachet here in Kuching every before! Perhaps it's available in Singapore? Since it's made there .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I was in lebanon and cafe21 was my favorite. But now Im in michigan there no cafe21.
    What csn I do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps you'll find another brand of coffee that you like :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I usually get my supply at Ta Kiong, The Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, do anyone know where to get cafe 21 in KL? coz my mum in law like it.
    TQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is Cafe21 not available in Penang Supermarkets and mini markets beginning 2016 ? Anyone knows, please comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why is Cafe21 not available in Penang Supermarkets and mini markets beginning 2016 ? Anyone knows, please comment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cafe 21 use to be available in Tesco Penang, but then they stopped selling. I finally found it in Aeon Queensbay Mall but could not find it during my last visit there. I often buy 4-5 packs at one go and am running out.. Cafe 21 drinkers, I need help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those in Penang, you can get them at Bandar Baru Supermarket, a very old small supermarket at Pulau Tikus. It's RM10.90. I just checked with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in the US and fell in love with Cafe21 when visiting my daughter in Singapore. While they lived there, she would regularly ship packages of it to me. They're living in the states now, so I lost my supplier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sugar-free? it contains glucose syrup woh

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am one of the fans of CAFE 21. drink cafe 21 more than 15 years. today all of sudden come to my mind that what are the comments abt this 2 in 1 coffee in msia market. then answers from all of u really impressive. feeling happy to read that. i bght from Speed 99 all the while. ya not easy to spot this coffee supply at other hyper market. Price from RM7.20 TILL today RM10.90. but still worth to buy n drink.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...