Friday, February 19, 2010

Stuffed Pig's Intestines

Everyone's either left or are leaving soon. CNY is almost over, even though it's not 15 days yet. I myself am leaving on Sunday.

Anyway, Second Uncle on Mom's side asked if anyone recalled a delicacy that my maternal grandma used to make. In Teochew it is called "dio de huang" or stuffed pig's intestines. It is pig's intestine, stuffed with glutinous rice.

I don't recall ever eating this delicacy when I was small. But according to Mom, it was one of maternal grandpa's favourite, and thus, maternal grandma would sometimes make it. She served it with sweet soya sauce.

This Chinese New Year, Second Uncle went through the trouble to make it for everyone. He said the whole process took him four hours. Laborious, isn't it? The intestine had to be washed thoroughly, and he used wheat flour, among other things, to clean the intestine.

The glutinous rice is stir-fried together with the ingredients like diced dried shrimps and shiitake - before being stuffed into the intestine and then steamed.

2 rolls of stuffed intestines in the steamer

Why did Second Uncle make this? Well, his 2 children liked to eat it, but it is not sold outside. So he had no choice but to make it himself.

Cut and ready to be served

Cross-section of a slice of stuffed intestine
See the bits of mushroom and dried shrimps

I was not sure if I dared to eat it, as it has the pungent smell, somewhat like stinky tofu. However, I forced myself to try a slice. The glutinous rice was soft, and tastily flavoured with fried shallots, dried prawns and shiitake. The pungent smell of the intestine was there, but faint. It was not as scary as I thought it would be ;p, much easier to stomach than stinky tofu ;).

For Mom and her siblings, it was a walk down memory lane, as they savoured this delicacy that their mother used to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...