Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lunch @ Joyous Shanghai Restaurant

Today, Dad and Mom and I went to Joyous Shanghai Restaurant at Jalan Padungan here in Kuching for lunch.

Joyous Shanghai Restaurant is part of the Lok Thian chain of restaurants.

We reached there at 11.30 a.m. Though it was near lunch time, this restaurant serves dim sum too.

Table setting

We had intended to eat rice. But at the same time, I had wanted to try a few dim sum items on the menu. Dad and Mom said I could order whatever I wanted to eat.

And so, I ordered dim sum, as well as a few dishes for lunch. Greedy, right? ;p

While waiting for our orders, the waiter came with an appetiser, which was sliced century eggs with pickle. Mom did not eat any as she did not really fancy century eggs. Dad and I polished the plate off ;).

Sliced century eggs with pickle

The Steamed Har Kao Wong was RM4.50 per serving.

Steamed Har Kao Wong

A Har Kao dumpling

The dumpling was quite bland, though the prawn filling was succulent and juicy. There weren't any chilli sauce or sambal dip provided to flavour the dumpling.

I also ordered the Phoenix Talons.

A serving of phoenix talons

I liked the Phoenix talons. The talons are tender, the sauces sweet and savoury at the same time.

Yum...

I also ordered the Spare Ribs in Black Bean sauce. The meat is quite tender. But somehow, the flavours did not seem to stand out. Again, a dipping sauce would do the meat some good.

Both the spare ribs and the talons are RM2.50 per serving. I thought it is pretty cheap.

Braised spare ribs in black beans

A spare rib

Dad liked Steamed Lotus Buns, so I ordered a serving for RM2.00.

Steamed Lotus Buns

The pau skin was quite fine and the texture was quite soft. The lotus filling was sweet and quite rich. Not a bad combination at all.

The lotus filling

With our rice, we ordered a hot and sour soup. It came in individual bowls with a dash of chilli oil on the surface. The soup had slices of fish lips, sea cucumber, tofu and seafood. It was real sour, but not spicy enough for me. Nevertheless, I liked it all the same.

Hot & sour soup

Second Aunt and my cousin recommended the Braised Duck and Yam in Claypot, and so I had to order this dish. In the claypot, there were chunks of braised roasted duck and yam. The duck was tasty and the yam was so soft and powdery that it melted in the mouth.

I thought the dish was a little too dry. Mom said it was because the yam had absorbed all the sauces. Hmn... maybe. Anyway, the Braised Duck and Yam in Claypot was RM15.00 per serving.

Braised Duck & Yam in Claypot

I ordered the Stir-fried Asparagus and Baby Corn. This dish came garnished with lots of almond flakes and finely strips of deep-fried cuttlefish. The garnish added extra flavour to the otherwise plain dish. Mom liked the vegetables a lot.

Stir-fried Asparagus and Baby Corn

The bill came to RM77.30, inclusive of tea and towels. I thought it was very reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...