Friday, February 26, 2010

CNY Celebration @ School

Our very own lion

My school level CNY celebration was held yesterday, in which, I was the organising chairperson. Typically, there is an opening ceremony, a lion dance, some performances by our students, and the giving out of ang paus to the students.

This had to be the fourth time I organised this event at school. I remembered the first time I was asked to organise it in 2007, where I was given only 4 days' notice! I remembered having a stressful week as I grouped the Chinese teachers together to make the event a reality.

Since 2007, the celebration became an annual event, and since then, I started preparing for it at least a month ahead. I became more organised, and drew up a committee of teachers to look into different aspects - such as students' performances, stage decoration, emceeing, and so on.

Every year, there was a lion dance. For the first 2 years, we invited lion troupes from outside. But for the past 2 years, we have our own lions!! We started with 1 set of lion dance equipment, and in 2 years, we have acquried 2 more sets!!

Besides the lion dance, there was variation to the programme every year. One year, there was a Chinese Drums Performance. This year's highlight would be a nicely-choreographed fan dance.

The school management team, all of non-Chinese origin, enjoyed tossing the yee sang. After which, we had yee sang for breakfast!!

My platter of vegetarian yee sang

For two years already, I had my colleague make the vegetarian yee sang. My colleague only used glass noodles, carrots, white and purple cabbage, pomelo, and lots of chopped cashew nuts. The sauce comprised of plum sauce and honey. It sure tasted better than the one I had during reunion dinner!! ;)

Well, I'm glad the celebration is over and done with. At least, I can strike another item off my To-Do list! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...