Monday, June 22, 2009

The Little Nyonya

(Pic Source : http://qingling.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/thelittlenyonya-aft4eps/)

I went back to Kuching last holiday, and all my aunts were raving about the Singapore drama, The Little Nyonya 小娘惹. Now, my aunts were not ones who watched soppy dramas on television, but they were all buying the DVDs for collections' sake. Even Mom said it was a good show and she said she wanted to watch it again, if she had the opportunity. That was it. I wanted to find out for myself just how good The Little Nyonya is. Mom said the story was rather tragic. Aunt said she wanted to rewrite the ending. Hmn ... I guess I'm forewarned.

Since Saturday, I've watched only 3 episodes. I must say that the Peranakan culture was portrayed beautifully and authentically, from the food to the clothing to the architecture to the funiture to the eating utensils. I like the heroine, Juxiang, who was not only beautiful, but virtuous to the very core of her being. I also liked the maid Ah Tao, who was funny and fiercely loyal. The Japanese lad, Yamamoto Yousuke, seemed to be very kindly. The rest of the Huang family, and also the perverted Charlie Zhang, make you glad you did not have them for relatives.

Though it is just a story, I'm not sure if I can bear to watch the rest of the series, to see Juxiang at the mercy of her own family, and ill-treated at every turn. Sigh. So, I'll just watch this drama very slowly in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...