Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson

Everyone knows Michael Jackson. Such is his fame, that everyone at every corner of the globe knows who he is, so aptly enthroned King of Pop.

Michael Jackson's death yesterday shocked the world. I was shocked too. I want to read more, but every news agency reports more or less the same facts. I guess all I can do is to wait.

The only album of Michael Jackson's that I own is "Bad". I bought the cassette when it was first released. I was still in my teens then, and he was such a cool superstar. He awed the world with his moonwalk and his anti-gravity lean, so it seemed imperative to have an album of his. Despite all this, Michael Jackson did have some hit songs which I like, such as Thriller, Beat it, Billie Jean, and Heal the World.

Afterwards, it became more interesting to read about him than to listen to his songs. I especially love to read the speculation about his physical appearance, which indeed changed drastically. Over the years, I read that he also got himself entangled in complicated court battles regarding child sexual abuse. The last piece of news I read about him was a few months ago, an article which detailed his financial troubles.

Anyway, Michael Jackson was only 50 years old, and the whole world probably did not expect his death yet. I had colleagues who walked around with disbelief this morning.

Death often catches people unaware, but for Michael Jackson, his music lives on forever.

R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...