Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Books Leftover From My Teens

I'm an old softie. For one, I can read a book over and over again without getting bored.

Some leftovers from my teenage years
I dug up some of my old books from my book box the other day. It's been years since I've seen these books. I read them in my teens. Thinking back now, they would have played a role in shaping my values, making me a hopeless romantic that I am today ;p.

My friends and I used to smuggle them to school and exchanged them with each other. For some reason, these books were not allowed at school. I haven't the slightest idea why. Was it because they were of the romance genre? I don't think they were trashy in any way.

Once in Form 2, my friends and I were forced to be creative to prevent our books from being confiscated. That day, my friend wanted to lend us a few of her newer books. She brought them to school, but not before she wrapped them in brown paper. She secured the package with twine.

True enough, there was a spot check on that day. My friend quickly threw her package out of the window and tied the string to panes. The prefects came, searched our bags and our classrooms, but our books hung safe and sound outside. We only dared retrieve the books once we were sure the prefects were out of sight. You could imagine our relief as it was really a close call.

Anyway, I am taking a trip down memory lane by re-reading some of these books from my teens, and from a whole new perspective too now that I'm older and wiser. They are easy-reads and a few of them prove to be quite enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I read those books too. I used to borrow it from friends but they were quite stingy to share unless I had books to exchange with them. So, most of the time, I read Nancy Drew, Secret Seven, Famous Five and Hardy Boys, which I can easily borrowed from the school library. When I was younger, I read books from Enid Blyton. Actually, I don't mind to read those books again. Like you said, taking a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yes, I read all those books you mentioned. I wished students now read as much.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...