Friday, May 1, 2009

What's With Romances?

I am a heartless romantic who love fairy tale romances and happy endings.

Recently, I have revived my interest in romance novels. This week alone, I'd read 5 category romance books. Why do I read them?
a) They are easy to read.
b) They are short enough to finish in one sitting.
c) They are a means of escapism from the often dull reality.
d) They make me feel good, however unrealistic the plot may be.

Well, I have been reading romance novels for as long as I can remember. I started when I was 10 with the Sweet Dreams series. These are romance novels catered for teens, centred on themes of school, first love, first dates, first crushes and so on. Thinking back now, I don't remember where I had gotten those books. I must have bought them from a little book shop at Sarawak Plaza. I have quite a collection too. I keep them in a box at home in Kuching.

Later, I moved on to read Mills & Boon when I was about 17. I used to rent the books from a small book shop at Green Road. When I was studying in KL, I often frequent Novel House at Kota Raya and a small magazine stand at Central Market, where these books are rented out. I must have read hundreds. Those books that I like, I keep. They are also in my box at home in Kuching.

I am a person who can read and re-read. Why? For one, I don't remember the story after a while and will have to refresh my memory. And also, some stories are worthy enough to warrant a second or third reading.

There was a time when I stopped reading romance novels. It was a time when I was bored by the predictability of the stories. Additionally, I was skeptical about romance, having gone through a failed relationship. Also, I haven't found anywhere to rent those books here in Miri.

Lately however, I am reading again, thanks to my friend. She had bought so many and she shared it with me and another friend. We have all gone to the book shop twice this week to see if there are any new books to buy. We talked about what we liked and the unforgettable stories that we have read, and that made me think of my book box.

I haven't seen my book box for years. Dad has kept them somewhere in the house. I texted him yesterday and requested that he take out my book box. In a dismay he asked, "Do I have to send them to you?" Haha. Good old dad.

Anyway, I can't wait to see my book box and see my old books again. I can remember a few titles that I like and can't wait to re-read them come the school holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...