Thursday, May 14, 2009

Kimchi Made in Miri

안녕하세요. Annyeong haseyo.

I have an affinity with all things Korean. I know exactly when it started. It was in 2002 when TV3 aired 겨울연가. The highly publicized Korean drama with breathtaking winter panorama, Winter Sonata knocked my socks off and I was swept into the glitz and glamour of Korean entertainment. From then on, there was no looking back. I began my foray into the Korean culture.

Kimchi is a very traditional Korean food. It is pickled vegetables with seasoning. I suppose it is somewhat like the vegetable acar that we have here in Malaysia.

Nevertheless, Kimchi never fails to fascinate me. So much so that my friend and I attempted to make our very own Kimchi once. We did consult with a Korean lady who was a friend of a friend of a friend. And she more or less told us what to do.


We got ready the radish and the long cabbage. We soaked them in brine to soften them first.


Then we prepared the seasoning, which comprised of dried chillies, chilli powder, paprika, ginger, garlic, spring onions, and prawn paste.


The dried chillies were ground with the ginger and garlic and then mixed with the spring onions.


We then rubbed the seasoning in between the leaves.



This is what it looks like after being rubbed through.



We stored it in a plastic container and then refrigerated it.



Ta da!! That's what our Kimchi looks like. It actually tastes all right, except that it was really VERY spicy with all the chillies that we threw in. We were literally on fire after eating it.

It was quite an experience, making our own Kimchi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...