Monday, May 25, 2009

Awang Mahyan Cafe : Scrumptious Mee Jawa

Mee Jawa translates into English as Javanese noodles. Whether it originates from Java or not remains a mystery to me.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me about the delicious mee jawa sold at Awang Mahyan Café here in Miri, which she claimed, came with 2 sticks of satay. Ever since then, I was dying to try out mee jawa there.

Opportunity presented itself yesterday when my friend and I went out for lunch. I insisted on going to Awang Mahyan Café, even though she had wanted to go to Muara Restaurant in the first place. My friend conceded good-naturedly and so to Awang Mahyan we went.

I ordered Mee Jawa Special and indeed the noodles did not disappoint.

Mee Jawa Special came with 2 sticks of satay and a piece of fried chicken

The yellow egg noodles are served in a shallow bowl, topped with blanched beansprouts, 2 sticks of chicken satay, a piece of fried chicken breast, thin slivers of beef, half a hard-boiled egg, pieces of bean curd, and garnished with fried shallots, fresh chilli slices, and chopped coriander.

My tastebuds detected two types of gravy, one being the thick, yet spicy curry mee jawa gravy. The other was the peanut sauce, generously ladled over the satay. The two types of gravy blended pretty well together, I must say.

I did not fancy the fried chicken breast much, but I liked the chicken satay which was quite flavoursome. I liked the thin slivers of beef too.


... Yum ...

All in all, I liked the mee jawa a lot and would love to go back for more. Highly recommended. A must try.

2 comments:

  1. Where is Awang Mahyan located?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is at the Bintang Commercial Centre, adjacent to Bintang Plaza Mega Mall ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...