Thursday, May 28, 2009

Happy Rice Dumpling Festival 2009

The Duan Wu Jie (端午节) or the Dragon Boat Festival or the Rice Dumpling Festival falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese lunar calendar every year. In 2009, Duan Wu Jie is celebrated today, on the 28 May.

Well, I don't think there are any dragon boat races in Miri. So the focus of this celebration for most people would be eating the rice dumplings or zongzi (粽子) .

A prized homemade dumpling

Being alone in Miri without my family, I don't celebrate this occasion. In Kuching, however, the making and exchanging and eating of rice dumplings began at least 2 weeks ago. Mom makes the dumplings annually, and exchanges them with her siblings. As a result, everyone gets to sample the different dumplings made by different households.

On the actual day of the celebration, a hive of activity goes on at home. I know that Dad and Mom will have a busy morning ahead of them as they prepare for that obligatory trip to the 德教会 where the ancestral tablets of my late grandfather and great-grandparents are located.

... Yum ...

These days, rice dumplings are available all year round, as opposed to the olden days, when they were only eaten once a year. I haven't eaten many dumplings this year though, mainly because I do not fancy store-bought ones. This week, my friend brought back one prized dumpling, which was made by a her colleague's mother. It was not very big, but 3 of us shared it, savouring the taste of steamed glutinuous rice and spiced meat wrapped in bamboo leaves.

Not to worry though, as I know Mom has saved up some dumplings for me when I go home.

1 comment:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...