Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy Teachers' Day

I wonder how many people realise that Teachers' Day falls on 16 May every year in Malaysia. Not many, I suppose. I can only assume that this means that the general public generally does not appreciate teachers. Perhaps they still think that teaching equates to having lots of school holidays. Perhaps they still think that teaching is just a half-day job.

Anyway, in school, we make it a point to celebrate our profession. Every year, there are activities lined up for the day.

This year, 16 May falls on a Saturday. Therefore, we postponed our school level celebration to Monday, 18 May.

This is the theme song for this year, which we practiced with diligence. We will have to sing it on Monday’s celebratory function.

Here, take a listen and sing along if you like :


GURU PEMBINA NEGARA BANGSA
Bersedia melangkah megah
Walaupun sukar baktiku curah
Demi mu ibu pertiwi
Sumpah ku lafaz janji kukota

Berikrar eratkan bangsa
Kukuhkan cinta kepada Negara
Berjasa terus berjasa
Menyebarkan ilmu tiada batasnya

Guru Pembina Negara Bangsa
Gagah perjuangkan visi Negara
Bangunkan jiwa yang pelbagai rupa
Demi agama dan nusa tercinta

Guru Pembina Negara Bangsa
Tetap Unggul senadakan suara
Sehaluan menggapai matlamatnya
Cemerlang dan gemilangkan Malaysia



I think that the song speaks of the responsibility of teachers in building a nation. It is indeed very challenging.

Being a teacher is not so much teaching in the classroom. There are 101 things to do in the school. We are committed to develop the students’ characters, mould them to be better human beings. We are to take charge of sports and games, music and arts. That translates into a lot of time and effort. I was talking to a fellow teacher from a school this morning, and she mentioned having to supervise her school brass band till 9 pm at night. And there I was thinking I’d rather not have a brass band in my school.

That aside, teachers implement a whole lot of programmes as stipulated by the powers-that-be sitting in their air-con offices in high rise buildings. Programmes for literacy and numeracy. Programmes for reading. Programmes for racial integration. Programmes for internationalisation of the curriculum. Programmes for building leadership skills among students. Programmes for Maths and Science Teachers. The list goes on and on.

Really, teaching is not just an occupation, but it is a vocation. I wish myself and all my fellow educators out there, “A VERY HAPPY TEACHERS’ DAY”.

3 comments:

  1. I agree very much with you. It's great to have a teacher like you. Happy Teachers' Day!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...