Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Form 6, K.U.P.s and What Not

There is a big hoo-hah now about the promotion of Form 6 teachers - a supposed fast track in their teaching careers. I have colleagues who are appointed as Guru Akademik Tingkatan 6, and I myself am appointed Penolong Kanan Tingkatan 6.

What were the criteria of selection? Why did only 3 out of the many teachers teaching Form 6 in my school receive the promotion? What is in it for them now that they are promoted? What about non Form 6 teachers? They are veteran teachers, whom because are not teaching Form 6, are denied of the chance of promotion. It may seem rather unfair for them.

No doubt, all this is done to upgrade the status of the existing Form 6 to a level that is on par with Pre-University. In a presentation slideshow which I read, the lecture system was suggested. Teachers were going to be called lecturers. Heck, a dress code was even stipulated for the so-called "lecturers", and they were to wear blazers to reflect their new-found identity. Both the lecturers and students were to carry out researches. What kind of researches are they to do? Are the grades accounted for in STPM? Why isn't there news about curriculum review for the Form 6 then?

There are so many questions floating in my head now, and the worst thing is, no one can answer them. It serves only to shroud us, newly-appointed Form 6 teachers, in uncertainty.

Anyway, being in civil service for so many years, I am still very confused about matters related to perjawatan. At least today I know a bit more than I did yesterday. Graduate teachers are Guru Akademik Biasa in DG 41 hakiki. After 10 years, they are eligible for time-based promotion to the next scale, and are Guru Akademik Biasa DG 44 (K.U.P.). They can hold DG44 posts, for instance to become a Senior Assistant and such.

Say a DG 44 (K.U.P.) officer is appointed Senior Assistant at the school. Then comes along a DG 44 hakiki Senior Assistant. Then the DG 44 (K.U.P.) officer has to step down from being Senior Assistant, and revert to being just an ordinary teacher.

Form 6 appointments are as Guru Akademik Tingkatan 6 DG 44 hakiki. That means they cannot revert to Guru Akademik Biasa. For myself, my post is Penolong Kanan DG 44 hakiki. That means, it is a huge leap in the educational career path - from being a Guru Akademik Biasa DG41 hakiki to a Penolong Kanan DG 44 hakiki. Wow. It is only today that I understand the implication of this appointment.

I am not an ambitious sort of person. That is why I have never bothered about K.U.P.s and what not. No doubt I'm honoured by the recognition. But being penolong kanan does not really appeal to me. My passion is still teaching English in the classroom. Take that away from me, and I will lose all the joy of being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...