Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First Day of Semester Two

Having sleeping and waking up late for the past 2 weeks, I have to now re-adjust myself to my usual working day routine. Last night I could not sleep till past midnight, and when my alarm rang at 5 a.m. this morning, I literally dragged myself out of bed. It is usually like this for the first few days. After that, it becomes easier to wake up at the crack of dawn. By 10 a.m. however, I was sleepy already! I had to massage my eyelids so that my eyes could keep open.

I spent most of the morning retracing and piecing together my work in the previous semester, so that I can take up from where I have left off. Two weeks of holidays have wiped out my memory completely. I could not even remember my personal timetable.

I also accepted the promotion to be the Senior Assistant for Form 6. I signed the form and had it sent off. I do not know where this will lead me to. But I am not going to pass up the chance to earn more $, as it is stated in the letter that I get extra allowance. I think for many educators like myself, we are always not sure about the details related to our service. Ask me how much is Elaun Memangku DG44, and I won't be able to answer you.

My principal approached me today and asked me to create a blog for the English Panel. He wanted to help the English teachers professionally by encouraging them to blog. In reality, not all English teachers are proficient in the language, and they do make embarrassing grammatical errors at times.

A few years back, I remember peeking into the teaching files of a trainee English teacher and was appalled at atrocious language used. She would have graduated now, and imagine what she would have been teaching our students? My principal, himself an English teacher, is keen in helping English teachers to be more engaged in the language, and he thinks that blogging can perhaps be one way to help the English teachers in the school.

I can already foresee many problems in getting the teachers to blog, though. No computer. No wi-fi. Don't know how to post. Problems signing in. Excuses, excuses, excuses. I mean, I've tried getting teachers to post on an educational forum before, and the excuses that they give me are so unbelievable.

Well, that said, it was sure great to see colleagues again. I think everyone came back more energised and refreshed to begin the new semester. There were plenty to catch up with too, whenever there was some spare time. Some brought tales of their travels, others came bearing gifts and souvenirs. A colleague brought tamarind or asam jawa all the way back from Terengganu. I am embarrassed to say that it's my first encounter with this fruit. I mean I've eaten it candied, and I know of it as an ingredient for cooking, but it's the first time I've eaten it from the shell. The pulp is tangy and sweet at the same time, so I quite liked it.

Tamarind

Tamarind pulp


Tamarind seeds
As for my students, I thought they looked quite anxious, and maybe somewhat wilted (it's REALLY hot in the classroom at noon!!). I was returning examination scripts today, I could see the anxiety written in their faces. English certainly isn't their best subject.

And before you know it, the last bell rang, and it was time to head for home. Anyway, all in all, this first day of the new semester was less painful than I thought it would be.

Oh yes, and many people admired my Eee PC ;p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...