Sunday, June 28, 2009

An Inspiring Afternoon

Dr. Low Guat Tin speaking passionately about teaching

I had the privilege to listen to Dr. Low Guat Tin today, a renowned speaker from Singapore. Dr. Low Guat Tin is the Associate Professor of Policy and Leadership Studies at the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University. She flew in to Miri last night, and this afternoon, a talk was held for educators at a local venue.

Dr. Low believes that passion is the driving force for excellence in education. Passion will make us go the extra mile, and propel ourselves and our students to success. She is also convinced that teachers should motivate their students to enjoy what they are doing, and not to shame them into doing it.

Teachers should lift the students up, and then let go so that that the students can fly high. She said that we should help students see beyond this moment - to spur students on to higher things. She reiterated that everyone should have a vision in their lives.

Well, what did I learn from Dr. Low?
1) I should be thriving and not surviving.

2) I should celebrate my being and reward myself - I'm so going to get that Tag!

3) Have lots of fun and laughter in my work.

4) Take care of my S.E.L.F.
S = Spiritual
E = Emotional
L = Learning
F = Fitness

It was indeed great to listen to a person who has great authority in the education sector, and I really was uplifted by this experience. More talks like this should be organised for teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...