Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lunch at Hoi Tin Lou (海天楼)

海天楼 or Hoi Tin Lou Restaurant is located at Pannovel Commercial Centre, Jalan Mendu. It cannot be seen from the main road as it faces the residential area.

Hoi Tin Lou used to be at Grand Continental Hotel, Kuching. It relocated only very recently as its lease at its previous location expired. Back when they were there, they did not serve pork. But at their new establishment, pork is included in the menu.

Hoi Tin Lou opens on weekdays for lunch from 10.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. On weekends, it opens at 8.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. It opens for dinner at 5.00 p.m. daily.

Dad, Mom and I decided to go there for lunch yesterday. We went before 12.00 p.m., and the place was quite empty. There were only 2 tables of diners.

While waiting for our orders, we munched on a platter of braised peanuts. I thought the peanuts were soft and were quite tasty. Mom thought the taste of aniseed and 5-spice powder was a tad too strong.

Braised peanuts

We ordered the Spinach Noodles (菠菜面) with Seafood. As its name indicated, spinach noodles are used in this dish in place of the normal noodles. A dark coloured sauce is poured over the noodles, and the platter is topped with fresh fish slices, cuttlefish and prawns. There were stems of bok choy on the side too. The noodles were springy, and the sauce was really delicious. All of us liked the noodles very much.

Spinach Noodles

My serving of Spinach Noodles

Dad wanted to try the Honeyed Prawns (蜜汁虾). The prawns were battered and deep-fried, and then tossed with chunks of honey dew melon in a honey and mayonnaise sauce. Mom and I found the sauce too sweet. The restaurant was quite generous with the prawns, though.

Honeyed Prawns

I wanted to try the Braised Pork Belly with Mui Choy (酶菜猪肉), but I was disappointed. No doubt the meat was chunky, but it I found that this dish was too soupy. I also felt that they flavour of the mui choy 酶菜 did not really infuse the meat.

Braised Pork Belly with Mui Choy

Mom wanted to try the Stewed Beancurd with Assorted Meat. This beancurd dish came in a claypot, and like the other dishes, the restaurant was generous with the ingredients. There were snow peas, baby corn, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, chicken, and deep-fried egg beancurd in the claypot. If you asked me, I think the name of the dish should be Claypot Beancurd with Assorted Vegetables ;p.

Stewed Beancurd with Assorted Meat

Just out of curiosity, I ordered the Phoenix Claws (凤爪). I did not like it, as I found the sauce too watery. I also preferred my Phoenix Claws a bit sweeter. Mom thought the taste of the spices were too overpowering. Just for your information, Hoi Tin Lou serves Dim Sum too, though the variety is quite limited. They do have the usual Siew Mai and Radish Cake.

Phoenix Claws

The bill came to RM59.00 only. What a bargain! I recommend this unassuming restaurant, if you are looking for good food with a bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...