Thursday, September 1, 2016

Wrapping Up The Month of August!

It was a busy, busy month! I was working 6 days every week, and for 2 weeks, I was so busy marking exam scripts that I nearly went crazy. Thankfully that's over and done with ....

So where do Kuchingites go for a good bowl of beef noodles? Hmn .... I don't quite know. But the other day, I did find a decent bowl at Kuma Garden at 38 Food Street iCom Square, the beef noodles are to my palate.

RM10.00, Special

This was recommended by my friend, W. The noodles was a huge portion and was springy, and coated with aromatic oils. The blanched beansprouts provided the added crunch and texture. 

Beef Soup

I loved the beef soup which was really natural and sweet! In the soup were generous amounts of meat, tripe and also 2 large pieces of tendon. The beef noodles was very satisfying. The ground chillies here at a stronger flavour - I think I detected galangal in there ..... 

This is kolo mee with shark meat .... also from 38 Food Street at Icom Square; I don't care much for the shark, but the noodles were were aromatic and yum. 

Then I went back to Chef at Home, opposite of Wisma Saberkas .... it was my Hatch Day, and Mom wanted to give me a treat! 

Nachos with salsa and cheese dip, RM18.00
I do not think this was worth it as it was something I could make on my own at home ....

Soup in a bun, RM12.00

A huge bun, holding cream mushroom soup
The fresh bun was toasted till it warmed, and then filled with the creamy soup; We ate up the whole thing, it was yum. 

Avocado salad, RM20.00
The romaine lettuce was crisp and dressed in that same dressing as the Caesar Salad I had the other time; only now, it had thinly slices of chicken and avocado on top; not bad actually; Mom preferred the Caesar Salad.

Breaded Fish and Chips, RM18.00
Big portion! Wow! We had a piece of fish each! Crispy and crunchy batter, juicy fish and and thick cut fries; coleslaw was great too. Impressed with the whole thing, except that the paper cup that contained the tartare sauce spoilt the presentation. 

Cheesy Chicken, RM28.00
Lots of cheese on grilled chicken, and under that was mashed potatoes; in the menu, this dish was also to be served with peas ..... but not a single pea on my plate was found. I was cheated of peas ... and it wasn't a good feeling. 

Pokemon Go cake

Thanks to my friends S and C for getting me cakes from Madeleine on my Hatch Day. I was superbly impressed with the Pokeball cake which was so pretty! Yeah, I just started Pokemon hunting ... and haven't been much successful yet! So far, I've only caught a few, among a few interesting-looking ones were Abra, Bellsprout and Omanyte. Looking forward to catch more. Gotcha!!! 

Before I started shopping at Vivacity Megamall the other day, I had lunch at Kuching Flavors, where I ate the fried chicken rice from Aladdin.

Fried Chicken Rice, RM9.80

I must say that the chicken rice was superb! The rice was aromatic and tasty, the soup was tangy and so full of flavour, the pickles so pretty and so crunchy, and the chicken wings were so good!! Crispy and juicy and tasty at the same time. The sauces were also commendable! 

For dessert ... 

Oreo ice-cream, RM8.00 per scoop
First try of Feli Mio ice-cream .... not really that milky, but I liked the generous bits of Oreo in there; a little too sweet for me. 

I was surprised to hear from my former student P ... now graduated and chambering in Miri. He came over to Kuching the other day over some court matters and looked me up. So I took him to dinner though the poor boy was ill. I had him choose between Chinese at Queen Bee Seafood or Cambodian at Grill Wine Cafe - he chose to try Cambodian. That evening, we were the only ones eating in this nice cafe .... so great to catch up in that quiet atmosphere ..... 

Spring rolls, RM9.90

It's all veges in there - really very fresh veges such as lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, long beans, basil - that provided good crunch; The sauce that came with the spring roll was sweet and salty, quite light in flavour actually. I think I prefer these over Vietnamese rolls that are filled with vermicelli .... 

Next, we each ordered an Amok - I had seafood and he chose chicken .... 

Seafood Amok, RM13.90 

Really, a very rich seafood curry which was very nice to eat with rice; I'd recommend this to everyone!!

3 comments:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...