Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Free Netbooks

You'd better watch out.
You'd better not cry.
You'd better not howl,
I'm telling you why.
Santa Claus is coming to town.

Over 360 students at my school went home with a netbook each today. Free of charge, courtesy of the Government of Malaysia. It's all part of a programme called the National Broadband Initiative. The government justifies it all here.

Boxes and boxes of the 1Malaysia netbook

A close-up

The contents

What was the selection criteria? The students' household income had to be RM3000 and below. Sure, it's a good thing to enhance the ICT skills of students, especially those from the lower income group.

But for me and most of my colleagues, we only worry that it would affect the students negatively. Imagine all the time they are going to spend on the computer, going on Facebook, chatting, playing games and surfing the Net. What's going to happen to their studies, their school work??

5 comments:

  1. My students got theirs last Tuesday. How lucky they are. I wonder how many of them will put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must educate students on the impact computers & the world of multimedia will bring. CREATIVITY and innovation are the major forces that shape our world today and will continue to do so in the future.The shift of Malaysian economic landscape from an industrial-based to a knowledge-based economy has increased tremendously the need for people to be creative and innovative.
    There are Multimedia Design programs that aim to expose the students to the world of multimedia opportunities as well as to unearth their hidden creative talents and skills to think creatively.
    Students will be able to apply their creative skills learning for better improvement and enrichment, both at school & at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of my students did not pay attention to my teaching today. They were on facebook throughout my lesson. My class control totally fell apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully agree with you, popeyedjoe. ICT is the way forward. In fact, for SPM, there are subjects like Computer Graphics offered. And these are very good subjects that allow students to be creative on the computer. I've seen their work and I am so proud of what they are able to do. Many of these students will go on to pursue higher education in creative arts.

    What I certainly do not agree with is to be giving out free netbooks to the masses. Almost every Tom, Dick or Harry was given one. And for the majority of these kids, they will be interested in gaming more than anything else.

    sintaicharles, lucky for me, I've yet to face this problem.I haven't seen anyone bringing the netbook to school yet. I have thoughts about incorporating the use of the internet in my lessons, though - so maybe I'll just be the one who will ask them to bring those free netbooks of theirs to school sometime in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea!You gave me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...