Saturday, August 6, 2011

Traditional Fare I Love

I have fallen in love with these little rice packages. Well, I did not use to like it as I found the texture of the mashed rice inside the leaf to be rather icky.

A basketful of rice packages

It was at the end of last year that I started to like it, and now I LOVE IT LOTS!! I like it really warm, cause it brings out that unique aroma of the leaf. The rice itself is fragrant, soft yet chewy. I was told that a lot of work goes into preparing these rice packages. Rice has got to be pounded, cooked, and wrapped when it's still steaming hot.

I love to eat the rice with tapioca leaves stir-fry. It was just very satisfying!!

These tapioca leaves were shredded by hand and stir-fried with anchovies.
I assure you, sedap!!!!!!

That evening, we had some heavenly barbecued pork to make dinner a perfect meal!!

Lean pork belly marinated with preserved plums and salt and grilled over charcoal.
Simply divine!!!

There were other items on the table, but I was not very interested in any of them. Rice with tapioca leaves and barbecued pork was more than sufficient for me. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...