Sunday, November 27, 2016

Day 5 : Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World, Madame Tussauds Bangkok, Platinum Fashion Mall

That day, we were to visit the aquarium at Siam Paragon and then Madame Tussauds at Siam Discovery. Those places only opened from 10.00 a.m. onwards.

Hence, that morning, we went to the streets to shop first! That morning, I scored 1 blouse and 1 skirt. My friends bought dresses and shorts, among other things.

We then went back to the hotel for breakfast. At 9.45 a.m., the driver picked us up to bring us to Siam Paragon because we wanted to visit the Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World. The driver helped us with our admission into the aquarium, and we spent some time here checking out the marine exhibits.


At the craft corner (for kids!!), I amused myself by colouring a fish and then animating it.



I was not so impressed with the aquarium - even though it's supposed to be the largest (really?) in South East Asia.

One of the tanks ....

We must have spent about an hour here at the aquarium ... before we exited .... 

A wax statue of Muhammad Ali just outside the aquarium

Tom Cruise at Siam Paragon

After the aquarium, we walked to Siam Discovery to go to Madame Tussauds ... on the way, we ate at Food Republic. We had to purchase a prepaid card .....

I had this bowl of Tom Yum noodles with a single river prawn, which cost THB149.

It's bought from this stall named "Tom Yum River Prawn Noodle By Sattaya". Lol. How apt. The middle-aged guy behind the counter was heavily made up, and he reminded me of a eunuch from Imperial China. 

Other food items we ordered included ... 




Madame Tussauds ... well, I wasn't much excited about it having been to the one in London years ago; I just kind of knew what to expect and so, there wasn't much to anticipate about.

Who's this?

Some of the wax statues inside include ....

Gandhi

Chairman Mao; Diana at the background ..

The Obamas ... 

PM Lee

HM The Queen

Nickhun!! 

Wolverine 

Capt America

Leo

Jackie Chan

We spent some time taking photographs of the wax figures we liked ... and then even watched at 7D show here.

After that we took at tuk tuk to Platinum Fashion mall. I think it cost THB150 per trip; we made sure we agreed on the price before we took the tuk tuk to avoid being overcharged.

Here at the Mall, we spent the rest of the day shopping. We split up because we each had different interests and were looking for different things to buy ... but we agreed to meet up at the food court at 6.00 p.m.

While my friends shopped for clothing, I spent much time shopping for accessories - hair pins and bracelets and necklaces. They weren't cheap; but I bought them because I thought they were exactly what I was looking for - something of simple design and yet with a bit of bling.

What I liked were these leather accessories; there was this small shop which sold bracelets and necklaces made from leather! There were so many different colours and designs to choose from. After some time, I decided to buy 2 leather bracelets and a necklace. I paid THB500 for the 3 items.

I bought a monk-style hobo bag for only THB100. Then we bought lots of food items - crispy pork and some local Thai sweets and dried mangoes and curry pastes ...

At 6.00 p.m., my friends had dinner at the food court at Platinum Fashion Mall ... I did not find the food here interesting, so I merely ordered a plate of Mango Sticky Rice to share ...


That evening, we walked back to our hotel ... on the way, we were distracted by the many stalls along the roadside selling all sorts of things. So we were still buying along the way .... shorts and belts and wallets .... I bought a Thai-style hippie pants for THB100, and at the 7-11 nearby, I managed to buy some Siam Banana to bring home. I bought 6 pieces.

We dumped our purchases at the hotel and went out in search for some food; We bought durians, fried chicken, braised pork, bbq pork skewers, fruits and beer .... and then we had a great party in  our hotel room, and downed the food with iced cold Chang.

Braised pork - ears and tongue, etc 

Pa Ka Prao 

Pork skewers
These pork skewers were only THB100 each, and tasted so fantastic! My friend W even thought of taking these home to Kuching, lol!!

It was a fruitful day shopping today. Our feet were tired but we were so sated ... :))

2 comments:

  1. a lot of delicious food in BKK! i feel like wanting to board a flight to BKK now...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nux V! Yup, BKK is a great place to visit. There are many cultural sites that I did not visit this trip and would like to go back. Shopping and food is still affordable in Thailand!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...