Sunday, January 29, 2017

Homemade Pickled Radish

After coming back from Japan, one of the things I missed was the tsukemono - pickled vegetables. With our meals, we often had pickled radish served alongside. Hence, back here in Kuching, I thought I'd try to make my own version of pickled radish.

Homemade Pickles  

Pickled Radish 

Because it was my first experiment with the recipe, I used 1 medium-length radish. I peeled it and sliced it thinly, using a mandoline. Then I added in 1 Tbsp of salt to the sliced radish to soften it. Meanwhile, I had to cook equal parts of water, sugar and vinegar in a pot till it boiled. For a radish this length, I only needed about 1/3 cup of water, sugar and vinegar. After 2 hours, I squeezed dry the radish and placed it in a pickling jar before adding the cooked and cooled water-sugar-vinegar concoction. I placed it in the fridge and only after 3 days did the flavour develop and became more mature. I found the pickle to very crunchy and a very refreshing palate cleanser. Suffice to say that I liked the pickles a lot. Sil too, loved the pickles. Reminded her of Korea, she said. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...