Monday, January 30, 2017

Happy CNY of The Rooster 2017

I'm totally immersed in K-drama ... so CNY baking? Hmn ... it has taken the backseat. It's hardly a priority for me this year. Still, I had to make some. I only made 3 types this year.

Nastar pineapple cookies, salted egg cookies and also sesame seed cookies. 

I reprised the recipes I used last year since I was rather happy with how the cookies turned out. For sesame cookies, I used Wen's Delight's recipe, but I reduced the sugar to 70g .... so the cookies turned out not sweet, yet quite crunchy and textural and nutty in flavour. Not bad actually. My mom liked them.  

Since I had a supply of durian this year, I decided to make a non-baked durian cheesecake. I was really happy with it because it was a hit with my relatives. The cake was so, so satisfying as everyone loved the creamy and rich and flavourful cake! 

The best item for me this year - the non-baked durian cheesecake.

This was also a recipe from Wen's Delight. However, I only used 1 bar of 250g cream cheese to make a smaller cake, and had to adjust the recipe accordingly. Consequently, this is my measurement for the ingredients :
  • 250g durian
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
I removed the durian flesh off the seeds, and put them in a food processor to grind. Then I cooked them with 1 Tbsp of sugar. The rest of the ingredients included : 
  • 250g cream cheese
  • 40g sugar
  • 250g durian
  • 250 whipping cream
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • less than 1 tbsp of gelatin
  • 2.5 Tbsp water 
At the last minute, I could not buy Digestive biscuits so I bought Oreos instead. There were about 1.7 packets with 35g of melted butter, and pressed in a baking tin. Oreos tasted fine with the durian cake as well.

The cheese layer was really creamy, which made the cake difficult to serve; but the taste was really superb. Love it and will make it again when I get my hands on more durian. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...