Saturday, January 7, 2017

Not-so-important Subject 2016/2017

I teach a not-so-important subject in school.

For the students, it is not so important because it is largely a non-exam subject. Essentially, the students need to sit for major exams every semester for their core subjects. But the exam for my not-so-important subject will only be administered 18 months after the students have commenced their course. Therefore, my not-so-important subject is one that they have to worry about the least.

For the school, the results of my not-so-important subject does not affect it in any way. It has no impact on the school's performance or its ranking in the district, state nor country. So the school authorities do not actually pay much attention to my not-so-important panel. Last year, they had even forgotten to apply for financial grants on our behalf, resulting in us having RM0 to run our not-so-important panel throughout 2016. 

For me, I have been able to teach at a very leisurely pace. I take my time teaching the students different skills. I have time to try out various teaching and learning strategies. I spend time organising pair and group activities, I can even have the students play some games. Generally, I want to drive in to the students that my not-so-important subject is easy and fun and they should just enjoy it. 

Though my subject was not-so-important, I did not want to be seen as a non-performing teacher. Whether I liked it or not, the students' results reflected my ability as a teacher. Honestly, I did feel a certain amount of pressure last year. It was because I was teaching 3 out of 5 classes last year, with my kids making about half of the entire population.

Getting the students to perform meant that I had to give them exam drills. So I would pick up pace after the first 8 months. It was nonetheless easier said than done. Exam drills were boring and bothersome. Essay writing drew a chorus of moans and groans from around the classroom. Reading comprehension was snooze time for some. If the students had enjoyed my not-so-important subject at first, they soon disliked it. Who in their right frame of minds would enjoy doing the same types of exercises over and over? 

So I had to motivate. Sometimes, I coaxed them. Occasionally, I coerced. I also had to scold and threaten. It appeared that I was waging a losing battle towards year-end as I could see the students' exasperation and I could see that they were giving up. 

Come exam day and it was even more nerve-wrecking! I had waited for them anxiously outside the hall ... and once they came out, they had given me feedback of all kinds ...

"Teacher, how do you spell ... ?"
"Teacher, should I have made comparison instead of describing the changes .... "
"Teacher, does Figure 1 affect Figure 2 or the other way round?"
"Teacher, I have no idea what to write ... "

Aargh! I made a mental note to brace for the worst.

Yesterday, the results of my not-so-important subject was released. I did not anticipate. I was expecting somewhat the worst. However, the results did surprise me because everyone in fact had done quite well. In one class, all the students scored the highest grades with one girl getting a distinction. I was over the moon. In my poorer classes, in fact, there was a significant group that had gotten merits and passes. Only 2 did not make the grade. 

Phew! I was sure glad that the kids had done well. It was a great start to my school year. I am only teaching 1 class out of the 5 this year. And that made it so much easier for me to motivate and coax and coerce and scold and threaten the 21 kids I have in my classroom. They had better watch out for I am more determined than ever to ensure that they would score. :))

2 comments:

  1. i wonder what is that not-so-important subject...The school syllabus has changed so much since a decade ago. Back then the only subject no-so-important was Pendidikan Jasmani! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, for the bigger kids, their core subjects like General Studies, Sciences, Maths, History, Geography, Economics are more important. My subject? Heh ... no one bothers.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...