Saturday, March 11, 2017

Coconut Agar-agar

I've been wanting to make coconut agar-agar as I was inspired by this recipe from Hot Thai Kitchen. However, I did not exactly follow her recipe ....

Coconut agar-agar looking kinda pretty .... 

So I was just thankful of the fact that it turned out alright. I used about 30 grammes of agar-agar strips with 1.5 litres of coconut water - I used the pre-packaged ones; luckily they were not too sweet. So, I added some rock sugar to the mixture, and these I cooked with pandan leaves till the agar-agar strips melted and boiled. 

I used cooked 200ml of pre-packaged coconut cream and pandan leaves and 3 scoops of the agar-agar  mixture into a separate pot, and stirred till it boiled. 

What I did was to layer the agar-agar; I poured in the clear coconut water and agar mixture into the mould first ... and I waited till it became slightly solidified - think it took about 10 minutes and then quickly poured a thin layer of the coconut cream and agar mixture over it.

I made about 30 pieces, or rather, I only had enough coconut cream for 30 pieces; the leftover coconut agar-agar filled a tray. Hmn ... the pre-packaged coconut water tasted artificial (like I was afraid that it would!) .... so the agar-agar did not turn out so nice ...

I should try to make some with fresh coconuts; only they are so hard to come by ....  sigh. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you writing more actively again. You seemed to have went on a hiatus for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hans .... I was probably too preoccupied with K entertainment .. )

      Delete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...