Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Of Exam and Stress and Sugar Bun ....

"Why did they make you the Chief?" Mom asked. "You are so careless .... "

Duh. Mom did not think I was good enough to lead a team of teachers to invigilate the public exam. Hmn ... it involved some clerical work, for which I was good at. But yeah, I do admit that I can be pretty careless at times ...

So exam came and went .... and I did the job ok;  I was thankful for S and T from the institution - they were on standby, ready to help me just in case; I was thankful for C who accompanied me to sign out the question papers. She was punctual and helpful and really dependable. I was also thankful that the candidates were really co-operative and did not cause any trouble .... so that when everything was over, I could wrap everything up and leave the premises within 20 minutes.

Well, it wasn't difficult at all a job to do, but I did feel stressful because there was a huge burden on my shoulders to ensure that everything went smoothly. I could feel the stress when I experienced terrible backache for days .... the treatment? A 2-hour massage. It's been nearly 2 years since I went for a massage .... and I headed for Borneo 101 Reflexology at Premier 101 .... a 2 hour Thai massage cost me RM95 ... but the Thai lady's firm strokes loosened the tense muscles on my back and made me feel so much better after that. Post-exam, I was lethargic for days! It's been 2 days now, and I still feel tired .... sigh ....

My cousin G came back from Singapore over the weekend ... and too bad for her, I was too busy to bring her out shopping as I would normally do; this time, I only brought her out for a short while to Vivacity Mega Mall where she bought 2 pairs of white gold earrings.

Now I realised that Kuchingites who come back from abroad (or even from West Malaysia) often want to eat at Sugar Bun ... lol. They have missed the flavours of childhood while they were away ... so my cousin G walked past Sugar Bun and decided that she wanted to eat something ...

2 pieces of chicken, savoury rice and pickles
RM14.30, inclusive of a soft drink 

G went for 2 pieces of chicken to eat with her rice and pickles .... "Haven't eaten this for a long time!" she exclaimed happily as she dug in .... I really hope that Sugar Bun would be able to maintain the quality of this food so that people could still reminisce the flavours they have so enjoyed in the past. But hmn .... is it just me or do you also think that the chicken pieces look smaller now? Heh ....

Chicken Burger, RM8.40 inclusive of a soft drink 

I had the chicken burger .... hmn ... I don't remember ever eating this before as I usually go for the fish burger; unfortunately, I did not quite like the chicken burger ... as I did not like the gritty minced chicken texture encased within the deep-fried crust; I think I prefer McChicken :))

So my colleagues and I were talking about fried chicken this morning, and I shared about my horrifying powdery chicken experience at one KFC outlet one time ..... and of course, Sugar Bun inevitably came up in the conversation ... many of my colleagues still think that Sugar Bun's broasted chicken is as good as or even better than KFC's. For this reason, I do think that Sugar Bun has a place in the fried chicken market in Kuching and other parts of Sarawak. So I do sincerely hope that they would ensure the quality of their products across all outlets .... and of course to ensure that the price matches the quality of the products sold. :))

4 comments:

  1. Haven't try sugarbun before, but I tink I prefer McChicken burger more....nowadays they have Mix & Match set, where u can pair the McChicken with some other items in the list for RM5.90. Much variety and cheaper meal. Btw, there is a public exam in March?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nux V, yes there are exams all year round now. The other day, I made a mistake and there was an exercise that I did not do. So I hope they won't ask me to be the lead invigilator anymore. Lol. Yes, the other day, I bought a Mix and Match for only RM6.00! Thought it was really worth it. Looking forward to my next McD meal. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one at Kenyalang Park theatre has closed down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar Bun hold fond memories for me. My mom used to bring me to the branch at Electra House (I think it's closed down now too) and I love to order the fish fillet. I was still a kid. That is in the early 90s I believe. It was around the time Vanessa William's song, "Save The Best For Last" was hitting the charts and I remember it playing while I was there eating with my mom. Such vivid childhood recollection. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...