Thursday, July 27, 2017

Mui Chin Laksa

It was 6.05 a.m. It was still dark, and I'd just reached my school as usual. I parked my car at the near-empty parking lot - the only other car being my colleague CCV's. I lingered a moment in the car to take out my bags. I normally had 3 - a backpack, another bag for my food and drinks, and my handbag, and I was struggling to hold on to them properly ....

So I'd just closed the car door and walked a few steps, when a saw the headlights of a car driving towards me. It manouvered past me, honking. I could not see very well in the dark, and for a while, fear gripped me. For all I knew, it could have been a bad person. The car stopped, the driver reached out to open the passenger door .... "Come, let's go for breakfast .... " the driver said.

Lol. I realised that it was W, another of my colleague. He told me to dump my bags in his car and then run to the staffroom to clock in first and that he would wait for me. So that's what I did. I opened the back door of his car, threw in my bags, shuffled to the staffroom, thumbed in and shuffled back to W's car. We drove a few minutes away to Mui Chin Cafe ... a firm favourite breakfast place for a few of my colleagues, W included. True enough, when we reached there, another of my colleague H, and his family were there having their breakfast. H would be there almost every morning, apparently.

We sat down and ordered coffee and laksa ....

The laksa arrived before long, a generous serving of noodles in spicy broth, topped with 4 small prawns, egg omellete strips, steamed chicken slices, blanched beansprouts. I picked up some noodles and placed it on my spoon, scooped up some broth and had the first taste of the laksa ....

Laksa at 6.18 a.m. in the morning ... heh .... 

"Nice," I told my friend, W. This was top-rate laksa. Very yummy indeed.

I liked that the laksa because it was served piping hot. It warmed my stomach, warmed my mood, and made me happy. :)

I liked the broth - its blend of spices was just right, producing a well-balanced flavour and an authentic taste. Nowadays, at some places, the laksa broth did not taste like laksa broth anymore ....

The next thing I liked was the chicken slices - freshly-steamed chicken which was moist and tasty. Yummy.

I must come back again. W also recommended the kolo mee and the vegetables bao. The vegetables bao would now only be available on Wednesdays and Saturdays and in limited numbers.

Not only must I come back to this coffee shop, I must bring my parents here. I think they would enjoy the laksa here. And most of all, I must come early .... because here at Mui Chin, food gets sold out very early. :))

W and I finished our breakfast in 20 minutes and went back to school in time for our morning briefing. What an adventure! :))

1 comment:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...