Friday, February 16, 2018

Happy CNY 2018!

Happy CNY of the Dog! This year, I wasn't really in the mood to bake, and yet I did force myself to make something .... so due to my half-hearted efforts, the cookies did not turn out as nice.


My bakes

On the top was green tea marble cookies. I think the shade of the green section of the cookie was too light, and the cookie was generally overbaked. I'd reduce some more sugar as I found it too sweet. I used this recipe here

Below that was the Parmesan Cheese Cookie - which I quite liked. I used this recipe, and was generally quite happy with the texture of the dough and also how it turned out after baking. Quite yum and would make this again. 

I used this recipe to make the nastar pineapple rolls, which I'd used for the past 2 years. This year, I ran out of condensed milk and substituted it with sugar. I don't know whether that affected the dough or not, but I found that this year, the dough seemed softer than ever ... and it was difficult to manage. As a result, the shape of the pineapple rolls were not so nice, and the pastry was crumbly after the bake. 

In fact it was so difficult to manage that I gave up halfway through. To the remaining dough, I added some chopped cranberries, mini chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts, shaped them into balls and baked them ... heh ... tasted much like shortbread. :)) 

Snacks

The other thing I liked was the baked peanuts with brown sugar. Just sprinkle brown sugar on the peanuts and bake them over low temperature till browned ... sweet and crunchy and yum. :)) 

My aunts came over for dinner on CNY eve ... and well, they were looking forward to my "special" dishes. Heh. But there were none. I'd only bought the satay and made the durian cheesecake.

 Our reunion dinner spread ... all homecooked except for the satay which I'd bought ... 

My favourite dishes this year were the steamed garoupa and the garlic scapes stirfry. My durian cheesecake also did not turn out as well this year .... I did not follow the exact measurements and did not put in enough gelatin .... so cheese layer was too soft to handle as well. 

Pretty quiet meal for us .... pretty quiet day today as well. Looking forward to playing with my nephew tomorrow evening, when they come home. :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...