Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pho & Rolls @ Little Vietnam

I haven't much experience with Vietnamese cuisine. But of course, who wouldn't have heard of the infamous Pho and Spring Rolls?

Little Vietnam is a new eatery at Boulevard Commercial Centre. I'd asked around, and the first thing that my friends told me was that the menu here was limited. Somehow, they'd failed to give me reviews of the food, preferring to draw my attention to restricted items on the menu.

So, when my friend said that we were going for lunch at Little Vietnam, I prepared myself for the worst. ;p

Indeed, there weren't many items on the menu. But I knew even before I stepped into the restaurant that I was going to go for the Beef Pho.

Beef Pho

Thin strands of rice noodles were served in a clear beef broth, garnished with thin slices of beef, onion rings and spring onions. At RM15.00, the serving was huge! I reckon it would be enough to share between two person.

A set of Beef Pho

With the noodle bowl came 2 saucers of condiments. One contained blanched crispy bean sprouts, while the other had basil, coriander, sliced birds' eye chillies and 2 lemon wedges.

The accessories ;))

I dumped all the condiments into my noodles and mixed them well before tucking in. And guess what? I did like the Pho a lot!!

The rice noodles were smooth. The beef broth was a little on the sweet side, very umami indeed. I liked the fact that it was served boiling hot. The crunchy beansprouts added texture to the noodles, the herbs enhanced the flavour of the broth, and the chillies spiced up the whole dish.

So, I'd recommend the Beef Pho anytime!!

Besides the Pho, we tried the Gui Cuon or Spring Rolls. Each rice paper roll was compactly packed with blanched prawns, vermicelli, and fresh herbs - notably basil and chives.

Gui Cuon a.k.a. Spring Rolls

Dipping sauce

The Spring Rolls were served with a thick sweet soy, chilli and peanut dip. Honestly, I had never liked the Vietnamese Spring Rolls as I had always found the taste of fresh basil to be very heady - more or less like clove or star anise.

Another item we tried was the Minced Pork Roll, which in fact had not only minced pork but chopped prawns in the filling.

Minced Pork Roll

The dipping sauce for Minced Pork Rolls was a fish sauce, lemon juice, chopped garlic and chillies mixture. Anyway, the two types of rolls were not listed on the menu, so I hadn't any idea about the price. Plus, my friends had picked up the tab. So .... thanks a lot, guys.

Well, after the meal, we were given rice cakes for dessert. And it's FOC. The rice cakes were somewhat like our 白糖糕, a white sugar steamed sponge cake.

Truly, I had a satisfying lunch with my Beef Pho. The rest of the items were forgettable. Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Good review. It's a good news for my almost jaded tongue. Unlike you, I love basil.It's good for cough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you must go try the food at Little Vietnam. I'm probably not used to the taste of basil. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...