Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Off To Universities

I read in the newspaper the plight of a STPM high-achiever from Kuching who was not offered his choice university. Here is the link. Like Daniel, I do also wonder how university courses are allocated to the students. What is the process like?

Well, 21 out of 38 of my former Form 6 students are going to the University come this 06 September. There are 6 to UNIMAS, 5 to UMS, 4 to USM, 2 to UPSI, 1 to UNIMAP, 1 to UIAM, 1 to UiTM, and 1 to UM.

This year would mark our highest yield in the number of university-goers. As a teacher, I am very happy and excited for them. However, as I went through the list of courses offered to them, I was really baffled. There were courses like Industrial Relations, International Marketing, Engineering Entrepreneurship. Phew! What a mouthful. ;)

Like Daniel, I know of at least 2 students who were very disappointed with the courses they were offered. One aspired to be a teacher, but he has to now go into Marketing. The other aspired to be an architect but was offered Music. My advise to them? Appeal to change courses.

But at the same time, I know of a few students who were offered the courses of their choice. One is on the way to do Mass Communications, another is going to study Management, one going into Education, but most of all, I am ecstatic for the boy who would be going to University Malaya to read Law.

P** gave up Matriculations to do Form 6 at my school because he aspired to read Law. To read Law in University Malaya, one traditionally needed to score at least 4A's in STPM and a Band 5 in MUET. P** scored 3 A's and a B+, and his score for MUET was 8 marks away from a Band 5. Hence, I was extremely worried that he would not make it into the Law faculty in UM.

And so when he told me the success of his application last Friday, he really made my day. He fully deserve a place at UM, and I know he is going to do well. ;))

Congratulations to all, and I wish you all the best in your undertakings. Most of all, enjoy yourselves in the university!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...