Friday, March 14, 2014

Dinner @ Meng Chai Again

I want them to be swimming, she said.

Lol. My cousin, J was visiting last November, and I took her out to dinner. She wanted her food to be swimming in the tanks before she ate them. Well, it sounded a bit cruel ... but I think you readers got the point. She just wanted to enjoy fresh seafood.

I pondered where to bring her .... there weren't many places where there were sea creatures swimming. I thought of Rainforest Cafe at Pacific Orient Hotel, and was heading there. But finally, I decided to bring her to Meng Chai.

In my mind, the cooking at Meng Chai was by far, more refined, compared to Rainforest Cafe.

And I was glad that I made the right decision. J enjoyed her meal lots. Well, correction. We both did. A lot.


The mandatory condiment of sambal and lime ....
I loved the flavourful sambal here to bits. I could eat a few saucers of these, in fact.


J was ecstatic that there was lala, her favourite! We had our lala stir-fried with ginger and spring onions. Delicious, but I still preferred it to be a little bit spicier!!

Grilled juicy oysters with cheese
The oysters were juicy and moist ... not bad. But I still preferred the ones I had at Mures ....

Grilled Sri Lankan crabs
My favourite of the night, because of the firm yet succulent and sweet meat .... heavenly indeed! 

Stir-fried midin with belacan

There were only the 2 of us ... and it seemed like we had already ordered a lot. Then J saw them dishing out foiled packages from the kitchen ..... and she insisted on ordering a platter too! 

Meng Chai's signature dish of steamed fish fillet with fish maw and cabbage
I loved the sweetness of this dish, presumably from the good quality stock used; the freshness of the fish fillet. It was very delicious indeed.

We paid about RM142.00 for our food that evening. But more importantly, our tummies were really sated. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...