Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Road Trip Eats

Hmn .... we were looking for a place to have lunch .... and ended up at the second floor of a food court right in the heart of the capital city ...

The place did not look happening at all ... and limited stalls were opened. Hardly anyone ate there ....

We ordered from a stall named Cafe De La Rosa, the lady who served us was a fellow Malaysian, from West Malaysia, she said. While her friend who prepared the food was a Singaporean.

I loved the coffee that I ordered, very rich and aromatic.

 Very enjoyable mug of hot coffee, B$0.80

I was undecided about what to eat .... and so .... 

 Chicken Focaccia with Fries, B$3.20

 The chicken  salad was nice, but not the bread; The bread was home made, yes, but I did not like its crumbly texture. It was probably sitting in the fridge or freezer for a while .... 

At the Yayasan Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Complex food court, I had a Lalapan Ayam ....

 Lalapan Ayam, B$3.50
The rice was really dry and hard, but otherwise, the dish was alright. I wish they could be more generous with fresh vegetables, though. 

 Chicken chop on rice, B$4.50
My friend had this, from the same stall. 

I loved the pulut panggang or grilled glutinous rice wrapped with banana leaf, from the pasar malam. 

4 pieces for B$1.00

I bought only B$1.00 worth only, 2 pieces of prawn and 2 pieces of beef pulut, and loved them both. The rice tasted rich, fragrant and soft. The filling too, was very aromatic, well-balanced in flavour. 

 Inside the wrapped leaf .... 

This is kuih takis .... filled with many types of filling like red bean, peanut butter and so on .... 

 5 pieces for B$1.00 
Hmn .... I think this had to be eaten hot, as it was not really that enjoyable when I at it a few hours later .....  The texture of the cake was not nice, and I also found the filling to be too sweet. 

And there ends my little food adventure during the road trip .... disappointing, actually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...