Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stir-fried Kueh Tiaw

The other day, I had this kueh tiaw, bought from the Open Air market, not sure which stall, but it opened really early in the morning.


Stir-fried Kueh Tiaw
I loved the aromatic flavour of the wok-breath and the egg, of course ... and the textures from the crunchy green vegetables and beansprouts. 

Well, I had actually gotten the kueh tiaw from a kiddie. It was given to me, as soon as I came to school ...

 Old school wrapping, I like :))

 Uncovering the first layer of wrapping .... 

 I loved to see the bits of egg in there ....  and moist-looking too. I promised of a good meal ... 

Thanks a lot! My kiddies have yet again, made me feel loved and appreciated. 

4 comments:

  1. Do you think the newspaper adds some taste to the kueh tiaw? My family used to get this famous kueh tiaw from Green Road, you know the sort of famous story of an ah pek on a tricycle that fried kueh tiaw every night until he had a few houses and IRB were after him. Anyway, whenever I eat the kueh tiaw from there, it is always wrapped this old school way with newspapers, somehow I think the newspaper added some unusual taste to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the newspaper does add a certain feel to the kueh tiaw. Now that you mentioned it, yes, I absolutely LOVE the famous Green Toad kueh tiaw!! His stir-frying skills was certainly amazing! Do you know whether the uncle's passed down his skills to anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've not been eating from that stall for quite some time. The last time I was there was ages ago, I think I didn't see anyone else frying other than the man himself. But he seems to like it, I mean at least now that he's wealthy he's still frying -it would be hard to say he didn't at least like it, at the very least probably is like exercise or has become routine to him. Well it would be good if he passed down his skills, that way the legacy continues and Kuchingites get to have it for quite some time to come, just like some of those older food businesses in Kch. :) I think he deserves a mention if ever there is a list of unique Kuching establishments over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the uncle is selling it any longer, at least I did not see his tricycle cart when I was there some time back. Unless he's passed down to someone else and they're selling it elsewhere .... Lols, at least that's what I wish for it to happen. I can still recall its taste even now ... garlicky, aromatic combined with wok's breath .... sigh .... just divine.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...