Friday, December 2, 2011

My First Experience with Lui Cha

Well. I'd never eaten Lui Cha before this. The main reason is that this dish is known to be bitter. The next reason is that there's always something I'd rather eat than Lui Cha. Lol.

But since Aunt went back for a second round within days of consuming this Lui Cha, I knew that it was something I had to try.

So off we went to Jalan Pisang Barat, near my childhood home. I was astounded that we were going to eat at a house and not at a coffee shop!

The address : 149, Jalan Pisang Barat

A rock garden that caught my eye as I walked past the gate

Well, the proprietor has set up tables and chairs at the spacious patio and car porch where guests and sit and enjoy their food. Only Lui Cha is available here. So you'll be sorry if you want to order anything else.

There were also posters of 阿贤on the walls. Apparently, the Lui Cha has appeared on tv about a year and a half ago on the show "Taste With Jason". Wow. It has to be good!

The green herbal broth boiling in full view of diners

 The condiments

We placed our order. Just state whether you want it large or regular, bitter or otherwise. I chose a regular sized non-bitter variety and sat down to wait.

First, came the bowl of rice.

Regular Lui Cha

Steamed white rice is garnished with diced french beans, preserved chopped radish, cangkuk manis, and bits of scrambled egg. A small saucer of toasted peanuts is place on the spoon.

"Wait for the soup," Aunt said. Next, so I waited and a bowl of light green herbal broth was place before me. It was steaming hot.

I just love the light green colour!

"You can either sip the soup as you eat your rice or just pour the whole thing in," Aunt advised.

A complete set

First, I scooped a spoonful of soup and tasted it. Well, well. I was surprised because it tasted good! It was slightly bitter when it hit the tongue, and yet it had a very robust flavour. Best of all, it left a sweet and refreshing after taste.

The vegetables are stir-fried separately, and are savoury and tasty. The peanuts brought a nutty flavour and complemented the whole dish wonderfully.

This is a great bowl of Lui Cha, and I find myself falling in love with it. I think I'll be visiting this house more often in the future! ;)

1 comment:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...