Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sang Chow Loh Mai Fan @ Hong Kee

I'd posted about Hong Kee before. That time, we ate at its restaurant in PJ. This time, we went to the branch at Taman Connaught, Cheras, opened not long ago.

On a Sunday morning, it was quite packed with families enjoying a dim sum breakfast. We found a table on the first floor and proceeded to select our dim sum from the carts.

We ordered the usual fare, and I did like the taste of all that we ordered. The shao mai, har gao, phoenix claws, spare ribs were all yum.

A selection of dim sum that we enjoyed

But for this post, I would like to focus on the Sang Chow Loh Mai Fan (生炒糯米饭), purportedly a signature item here and only available on weekends. It's glutinuous rice stir-fried with diced Chinese sausages and waxed meat over slow fire till cooked. At Hong Kee, it was served in an inverted glass bowl on a saucer. The result, a perfect rounded ball of rice.

Sang Chow Loh Mai Fan

I believe this was my first encounter with it and I did like it as it was really aromatic The rice was fluffy and I could taste the flavour of the egg, the spring onions and the preserved meats. It's a dish that is full of texture and I would recommend it to all glutinuous rice lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...