Friday, December 16, 2011

C-I Xpress @ One Utama

Something funny happened. Bro and Sil were supposed to attend a wedding dinner at the Empire Hotel, Subang. So after they were all prepped up, we were on our way. I was supposed to be dropped off at Sunway Pyramid while they went for dinner.

In the car ....

"Aaargh!" Sil shrieked.

"What happened?" we asked, concerned.

"The dinner is not this week!" she exclaimed, pointing to the date on the invitation card she was holding.

Lol. Thank goodness she saw it in time. We detoured and went to One Utama because Sunway Pyramid was too packed with cars. Imagine a long line of cars parked by the road side!

One Utama was humongous that I did not really know how to navigate it. It was already 9.00 p.m. by the time we were looking for dinner, and we did not manage to find any good place to eat so we ended up at Canton-i Express or C-I-X in short.

C-I-X

Somehow, we did not have a very good experience eating here.

First of all, we were supposed to read the wall for the menu (Duh, I thought it was only in Facebook that people read the wall!), place our order, pay, sit down and wait for our food to be served. It's not a familiar concept here in Malaysia but I do know that it's quite common in Hong Kong. I remembered ordering my lunch at Maxim's in Hong Kong in that way.

But that's not all. Bro found the ladies fronting the counter annoying. Perhaps it was because they were loud and pushy. And because they spoke Cantonese by default. They should not assume that all people spoke Cantonese.

The interior of the restaurant

And so we finally decided on the following items.

Noodle Soup With Fresh Prawn Wanton
鲜虾云吞面汤
RM12.80

Beancurd & Crispy Chicken Wing Rice
豆腐皮脆鸡饭
RM13.80

Barbecued Treasures on Rice
叉烧多宝饭
RM14.80

Do excuse the name of the dishes in English. I translated it directly from the Mandarin version as I forgot to take note of the names that night.

I can only comment on the barbecued meats on rice as that was what I ate. The meats and sauces were rather ordinary. The flavours were forgettable, and I found the whole dish to be quite dry. There was a lot of rice that I could not finish eating. It's a HK-wannabe dish, in my opinion. Here was what I ate at Maxim's in Hong Kong.

Maxim's Six Treasures Rice
HKD29.90

See the difference? I utterly enjoyed this barbecued goodness at Maxim's. C-I-X can't even begin to compare!

Besides that, we thought that the prices were rather steep for the kind of food that we got. Plus there were an additional of 5% service charge and 6% tax. That said, I would not see myself going back to C-I-X for meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...