Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Letting The Hair Down

I had a horrible hair experience when a hairstylist chopped off my tresses in an alarming fashion. Since then, I'd been wary about hair salons.

Everyone in my family goes to Elaine's to do their hair. I first went to her in 1997, when my Third Aunt introduced the salon to my Mom and I. Since then, we'd spread the word around, and soon every female in the household patronises her. Even my grandmother!

At first, I liked her. Elaine was good at layering the hair, giving it body and texture. Over time, of course I grew bored of it. Over the years too, she'd cultivated her own pool of clients. Her business was very good, and especially so during festive seasons. Once, I wanted to do straightening at her salon, and when I walked out it was 8 hours later. That had to break any hair straightening record for the longest amount of time ever to complete the process.

Since then, I'd been quite reluctant to go to Elaine's - whether for a hair cut or for hair straightening. This holiday, I'd decided to do hair straightening again, but then I did not really know where else to go.

My friend recommended Artist Hairdressing at Jalan Petanak. I went to enquire and they wanted to charge me RM280. If I did 2 items, however, i.e. straightening + colouring, they would give me a package price of RM250. Well, it was worth it, only that I did not want to colour my hair at this point. I was particular about the products they used and they said they would use Wella.

Then, I headed to Jantzen at The Spring for another round of enquiry. "Long hair. RM320 with treatment," said the lady. She then came over and squeezed my ponytail a bit. "Thick hair, add another RM35. So RM355." What a rip off even though they used L'Oreal.

So even after asking about, I put off doing my hair. Till today. There wasn't much time left before going back to work. Hence, I decided to get it done today. "Where?" Mom asked. "Elaine's," I said, resigned. Mom approved but Dad said there's an advertisement in the newspaper for a RM97.00 hair straightening that used Schwazkopf Professional. Can't be, I thought. Kelvin (in Miri) used Schwazkopf and he charged RM250.00.

So curious, I called up Trendzcut to ask. Gerald, the hair stylist, said that the promotion was valid. There was no harm trying so I went over to the salon. I had 3 options, the lady there told me. Schwazkopf was RM97.00, Iso was RM140, and L'Oreal was RM200, referring to the brands of products that I could use. So I opted for Iso for RM140, and it was even cheaper than what Elaine would normally charge me!

The whole process took 2 hours and a half. First, the hair was washed, and then the hair cuticle was broken down using a cream-based relaxer. I sat with cream on my hair for almost 50 minutes. After that, my hair was rinsed and blown dry, and then sprayed with a few spritz of protective protein solution. Then, came the task of straightening the hair with a hair iron. Once that was done, a generous amount of neutraliser was sprayed on the locks. After about 20 minutes, the hair was again rinsed and blown dry and I was done and ready to go.

Well, Trendzcut, I understand, had been refurbished not so long ago. The place has got a modern yet comfortable feel to it. For this kind of price, I am rather happy with its services. To be fair however, my hairdo was done by junior stylists. Perhaps that's why it's priced the way it was.

Trendzcut is located opposite the Hills Shopping Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...