Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Garrett Popcorn

I'm not extravagant so I do think that RM19.00 for a small packet of popcorn is expensive. So, it is surprising that many would queue up for it like it was RM1.90. In fact, I saw a well-dressed lady who bought at least two hundred bags! She even needed someone to help her carry all those bags! OMG!

I was at KLCC the other day and I was contemplating whether to buy some or not. I cut into the line and enquired if they would keep.

"One day only," the cashier said.

Garrett Popcorn. A Chicago Tradition for 60 years. Handmade from the finest quality ingredients one batch at a time. A 3-generation old family recipe. GOURMET. Is it worth paying so much for it?

"The bestseller is the Macadamia Caramel Crisp," he said.

I thanked him for his helpfulness and walked away. Five steps later, I turned back and took my place at the back of the line. Ok. Expensive it is, but I'm game to try anything at least once.

So I parted with RM19.00 for a teeny packet of Macadamia Caramel Crisp.


Upon ordering, the popcorn lady scooped up the popcorn into a blue & white striped paper bag.

"Thank you. Enjoy your popcorn!" she called out gaily.

A knob of popcorn

Well, the corn is fluffy and crisp despite the solid-looking caramel coating. Pop it into your mouth and experience a rich buttery and sugary flavour. It was just as I expected it to be - sensational! I guess, with that price, it better be yum!! However, I do think that the taste of the macadamia nut is drowned in all that buttery sweetness. So perhaps it would be sufficient to go for the basic variety. Don't know. I'll have to give it another go the next time I'm in KL or Singapore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...