Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I Love My iPhone

"I lurrrve my phone!" I would often exclaim to the annoyance of those around me, especially when I'm watching a video on it or playing a game or just surfing on Safari. I am always amazed by the array of great things that I can do with it. Recently, I came to discover ePub (electronic publication), and coincidentally the first book I read in this format would be "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson. All 42 chapters of it on the small screen of my iPhone!

The hardcover
Pic Source : http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-10-23/tech/30313250_1_amazon-kindle-iphone-copy

"You'll spoil your eyes!" Mom reprimanded. But I was engaged, and could not put the book (oops, the phone ... lol) down.

My experiences with Apple products were limited. I remember using Macintosh computers in my university days. There were rows and rows of Macintosh desktop computers in every lab, and we had free reign to use any one of them, typing our assignments, surfing, emailing and stuff. That was about it.

Bro, on the other hand, is a die-hard Apple fan. When came the iPod revolution, he bought a black 8G iPod Nano. I thought it was a cool little gadget with conspicuous white ear plugs. It was just very expensive and I did not think I'd buy one at that point in time.

It was also through Bro that I watched my very first Apple product commercial. It was that of the Macbook Air. And it made a lasting impression till today. I clearly remember that it being portrayed to be able to fit into an inter-office envelope. How cool is that! Since then, it's the laptop computer of my dream, mainly because it's so thin and yet so powerful.

Many people profess dislike for Apple products. "You are forced to use their software," my friend, J**** said with much disapproval. Well, I never knew why it was so until I read the book. Apparently, Steve Jobs was a man who thrived being in control. He wanted to have control over both the hardware and software that Apple developed to provide the ultimate user experience. It seemed to work well now with the many consumer products that Apple has developed in recent years.

Through Bro too, I'd watch the late Steve Jobs in action at one of his legendary product unveiling events. Watching his calm demeanor on stage, I would not have guessed that he was a difficult person. According to the book, he wreaked havoc among the people he worked with. He was willful, uncompromising, and totally lacking in tact and social decorum. Totally not what I'd expected. Nonetheless, he was focused, passionate, creative, innovative, and a brilliant negotiator. A very intense person indeed.

Steve Jobs also thought that Slideshow presentations were a waste of time. People who used Slideshows didn't know what they were talking about, he espoused. Lol. I loved that because I'd sat through so many Powerpoint Karaokes.

After reading the book too, I'd be very interested to visit an Apple Retail Store. The nearest flagship sore is in Hong Kong, I believe, but it would be great to be able to visit its 5th Avenue store that boasts award-winning architectural features. All this happened because of the vision of one man.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank this brilliant guy for his innovation in creating simple products that changed the world. For me, again I reiterate that I TOTALLY LOVE MY IPHONE!

Steve Jobs. The one & only. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...