Friday, March 18, 2016

Certainly Not Bourdain-Quality

Yesterday morning, we went to Choon Hui for laksa. Choon Hui at Ban Hock Road had gotten much attention last year when Anthony Bourdain came for his ultimate bowl of Sarawak Laksa. I had looked at that bowl of laksa on social media and had aboslutely drooled. I'm certain many drooled as well. Lol.

Source : http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2015/05/29/anthony-bourdain-again-tastes-sarawak-laksa/

That's his bowl of yummy goodness! 

Source : https://twitter.com/bourdain/status/604132357059182592

Choon Hui had since then gotten more popular, and it's very common to see long lines of cars parked by the road just outside the coffee shop from very early in the morning. Who cares about obstructing traffic, right? 

My breakfast 

Maybe because I had too high an expectation, I was totally disappointed with my breakfast. Let's deconstruct. Firstly, among the three items, the coffee was probably the best! It was reasonably thick, and was drinkable even without sugar. The kaya toast was tasteless - no taste of butter nor the sweetness or the lemak from the kaya. The laksa (RM6.00), too, was bland and diluted. Period. 

Verdict? OVERRATED! Not coming back.




1 comment:

  1. yes, this shop is way too overrated. i dont even understand why. laksa such as those at thompson corner tabuan jaya (the auntie who puts clams into laksa) are actually better than this, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...