Friday, August 5, 2016

Kuching Food Festival 2016 - Round 1

It's that time of the year again when food stalls are abundant in Kuching. We went to the Kuching Food Festival this evening ....

It was early and not too crowded yet, plus there was a bit of rain earlier so that could be a deterrent for some people 

Long, long queue here .... I think it was for the salted fish ice-cream. What a novelty ... I did not queue up for it though; next time maybe I'd try this.

I sent the folks to a table in the shade, while I do the buying - in the rain! After a short while, we were ready to eat. To make eating more comfortable, I always arm myself with wet tissues; often the tables are dirty and needed to be wiped; Kuchingites are still not very civic minded and do not give two hoots about clearing and cleaning tables after they've used them; I even bring my own plastic cutlery and containers. It makes sharing food much easier. 

I opted to have Lamb On The Go .... this stall was by BCCK ... 

Lamb On The Go with Basil Sauce, RM10.00
Lamb was served on pita bread; Well, you can see that it looked kind of sorry for something that cost RM10.00; for it's just untoasted pita, lamb, your dressing of choice and an unappealing dollop of chopped cabbage -  could not detect the flavour in the cabbage but it should have been pickled; I actually liked the taste of the tender meat and the sharp herbal dressing ..... only that I think that the whole piece of pita sandwich could have been jazzed up with lettuce and tomatoes and what not .... 

The folks were more conservative in their choices ..... 

Sambal Fried Kueh Tiaw, RM6.50
Fried on the spot, this tasted alright, though Mom said it wasn't aromatic and flavourful enough 

 Glass vermicelli noodles, RM5.00
This was from Mango Tree - a bit sweetish, not tangy at all; none of us liked this; I wouldn't buy this again ... 

Sweet and tangy chicken feet, RM5.00
Also from the Mango Tree stall, the chicken feet were crunchy but the folks found it too hard; I did not quite like the sauces ... but overall, alright too 

MJ Teochew Oyster Omelette, RM12.00
This was really yum .... plump oysters, small portion, but very satisfying; we all loved this .... 

 Pondok Satay
RM0.70 per stick of beef and chicken satay, ketupat was also RM0.70 per piece; the peanut sauce was nice too

For dessert .... I bought this egg pancake with ice-cream; this was from Meow King as recommended by my friend J ... 

Egg pancake ice-cream, RM7.00  
The egg pancake was nice - crispy and chewy at the same time; not too sweet too; 2 scoops of ice-cream was served together with it and some toppings too; I liked it :)) 

Halfway eating, dad's cousin came by ... and we all sat there to catch up over food! What fun it was! Of course this evening, there were some hits and misses ..... and then, there was plenty to try still - but it would have to wait till next round; I would be interested in Aunt Mary's laksa, coconut ice-cream, GE sausage, toppoki, kimchi fried rice and kimbap, a Japanese cream puff and maybe the choux ice-cream! Till next round .... :))


4 comments:

  1. haha .. I was waiting for this! I'm glad you're planning more visits. And so many variety of foods require return visits. This year, the craze seems to be ice creams & yoghurts. Heck! there's even a stall selling choc cheese yoghurt that looks like sh*t!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! Yeah, I saw the pictures of the dung-lookalike cake and it looked quite disgusting to me, haha! Yeah, i was hoping to make some return visits until i realised that i was going to be busy for the next two weeks, sigh .... keeping my fingers crossed however! What's your favourite food at KFF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tasted all but so far I like the coconut creamed ice cream sold right at the far end, the final row of stalls. Doesn't come cheap, paid RM10 for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Served in coconut shell? There's this cheese ice-cream too right? I'm kinda interested in that ... Hopefully can sneak some time off to go there again this week ...

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...