Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Kuching Food Festival 2016 - Round 2

Dad's gone to dinner with his old friends. So Mom decided not to cook since there were only the two of us eating. Though it was raining, I was adamant to go to the Kuching Food Fest. Mom indulged me ...

As soon as I got there, I went to buy a deep-fried squid from a stall called as Squiz King ...

2 pieces of squid on display to tempt customers

RM9.00 per piece with your choice of seasoning powder - garlic, seaweed or cheese; you also need to specify whether you wanted it to be spicy ... I wanted mine to be in the original flavour and non-spicy.


Looking a tad messy in the plastic bag ... 

I liked the squid when it was still hot; the battered squid was crispy and tasty on the outside, and the squid was thick and juicy; but it sweated a lot in the paper bag it came in so that it got soggy real quickly. By the time I was ready to sit down and enjoy my food it did not look as appetizing already. 

I also bought ...

Pork burger, RM5.00 

The pork burger was bought from Gourmet Sausage. It was just a pork patty on a lightly toasted bun and dressed in a sweetish mayonnaise. I asked for mustard to go with the burger too. I must say that I liked the burger - the combination of the sauces worked and complemented with the meat and bun. 

Aunt Mary Laksa, RM7.00, Enoki Golden Mushroom, RM5.00 and Sekama Satay, RM0.70 per stick

Mom and I both liked the laksa; the proportion of noodles and the condiments were good - there were 3 fresh medium sized prawns, a good amount of chicken, egg omelette, and beansprouts. The laksa broth was spicy, a bit licorice-y, and just rich enough. Not bad at all.

The chicken satay was also good - the meat was nicely marinated and not too tough, making it easy for older folks to eat. The peanut sauce was thick, spicy and full of flavour. Yums. We also had ketupat with our peanut sauce, RM0.70 per piece.

Enoki Golden Mushroom, RM5.00

Aside from being super crispy, there wasn't much taste to the mushrooms; I liked the drizzle of the sweet mayo but the wasabi dressing did not come through at all ...

Mom and I couldn't finish all that we had bought, so we took home the squid and the satay. Still, I wanted dessert. I decided on the OriDreamCone. But apparently, the doughnuts haven't arrived yet. Darn.

I had to settle for something else.

RM2.50 each from Puff Workshop

Hmmmn ... Soft pastry filled with cream; I didn't like these much.

Poo Cake, RM7.00

This was essentially cheese cake on a layer of crushed biscuit; the poo was made of chocolate. There were 3 flavours of cheese cake; I chose matcha over chocolate and lemon. Hee .... I haven't eaten the Poo Cake yet. It is sitting in my fridge now as I'm too full to be eating anything else ...

Second round of KFF 2016 done; I don't think I'll be going again this year, though. :))

p/s : the poo cake was kind of light in flavour - it was not rich, not too sweet, and the choc poo was hard .... I did not like it much. 

2 comments:

  1. looking at these pics is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe ... Kuching Food Fest is over and done with for 2016. Till next year!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...