Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A House Not A Home

I'm a home owner!

My living room

View from my  living room balcony

I bought an apartment at the end of 2014. I became interested in 2 apartment projects by this particular developer. But by the time I made an enquiry, the units had been sold out. I was ecstatic when I was told that another project would be launched, so I registered my interest with them.

They gave me a call prior to the launching of this new project. So the following day, I went to the developer's office very early - way before it opened its doors. I anticipated a queue at the office, as it was the case with its prior projects. However, I was surprised to find that all was quiet.

I waited for a while, and then came a middle-aged man, Mr. W. We got chatting and discovered that we were both interested in the same project. Mr. W said he was buying the apartment for his daughter. He'd gotten the brochure earlier, and so the both of us stood outside the office, discussing which unit we would potentially buy - the size to buy and the prices offered.

I was debating whether to buy the smallest unit or potentially a larger one. Looking at the prices, I thought the larger units were all overpriced. Incidentally, Mr. W and I both aimed at the same unit on the same block. Of course, he managed to book it first, and I had to settle for the unit above his. Heh. We'd become neighbours.

I'd gone to the office without any preparation at all. No cheque book. No cash. So the lady insisted that I had to pay a downpayment of 5% to book my unit. No payment, no booking. She couldn't even reserve the unit for me while I go get a cheque for it. An hour was what I asked for but she refused me. What a bitch she was. So in the end, what I did was to charge 2.5% to my credit card. Then, I went home to get a cheque for another 2.5% of the downpayment and drove immediately to the developer's office to pay. That was RM15,700 downpayment for a 861 square foot 2+1 room apartment with a garden view, on the second floor.

Paper work ensued in the next few months .... my sales and purchase agreement, and my loan was done without a hitch. I forgot about the existence of the apartment until I got periodical statements from the developer and the bank about financial matters. I'd never gone to see the site when it was building. I'd never visited my unit when it was under construction. All I did was start paying for my housing loan some time last year.

Before I knew it, 3 years had passed ... and last month I was contacted about handover. I was in Sri Lanka at that time ... and so I waited till the beginning of this month to collect my keys. When I first unlocked the doors to the apartment .... hmn ... it was smaller than I expected, but the workmanship was better than I thought. Heh. I'd actually expected the worst after seeing the very poor workmanship of my friend's house at Samarahan.

Now, I have another burden. To furnish the apartment! I'd gotten it small because I thought it would be sufficient for me. I also hated cleaning, so the smaller the better. Plus, I did not want to spend so much on furnishing the apartment - so I thought if it were smaller, I could spend less on furniture and stuff. In the long run, I also thought I could save on the management fees - the bigger the apartment, the more you have to pay!

Over all, I'm quite happy with the size of the bedroom and the living room. I did find the kitchen and the yard too small. I'm now looking for inspiration for some renovation work, like how to maximise space, and how to make my tiny kitchen bigger and more functional. Hmn .... it will take me probably more than a few months before I start shopping for contractors, fittings, appliances and etc.

I'd visited my house a few times now. I'd met my neighbour Mr. W again. I'd visited his unit - he'd furnished it with simple furniture and had rented out his unit. Last I went, there was already someone staying there. I also met my neighbours opposite my unit. They seemed a friendly couple too.

Hmn ... I do not have a conclusive plan yet, but I'd probably not stay at the apartment ... I'd rather stay with my folks. Maybe a weekend home? Hmn ... really not sure.

5 comments:

  1. hi! it's me again, the one saying AT was hinting on you. i continue reading, seems like you got together with D? but somehow you stop mentioning him after a while.... something happened?

    about the apartment, i wish i could've have given you some of my personal experience living in apartment before you buying one... but since you had gotten your keys, i am happy for you :)

    actually i stumbled upon blog when i was searching for a specific food in sibu night market. just happen that you have a picture of it, and i read one post, then one post leads to another, and the rest is history.

    i really love the Teluk Melano post. one heck of an experience it must be to go there. it's a shame you couldn't get to Temajuk. it's very beautiful there. love the NZ post as well, mother nature never fail to capture my interest.

    as i read more of your post, i feel like i kind of like understand you more and more. no, i'm not a creepy stalker lol. you are writing out your personal life here after all. reading about your grandma reminds me back of my grandpa. reading about your "poems" reminds me of my younger self lol, reading about your resentment for the "award winning" china tour guide i dont know if i should laugh or kesian you hahaha.

    i admit i skipped quite a lot of posts, especially about food and trips. i'm a person who is very interested in other people's personal life (interesting ones only, dulls one bores me). consider me a kepochi :D

    reading your blog reminds me of my own school teachers back then. i kept in touch with them up to a certain time and then stopped. i wonder how they are doing now.

    i thank you for your post. i had enjoyed reading it. it feels good to see another food lover anytime anywhere but please la, the fatter the 3 layer pork the better! :P

    and thank you for being a teacher, for serving the kids for their future, whether they know it or not, because your part as a teacher plays a role in the development of a student's life. i hope that my future kids will be under such a teacher like you.

    cheers to life and food,
    Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading the blog, Y. I also appreciate your response and your kind words. I will take that as a motivation for me to continue writing.

    I started to write because I wanted to capture memorable moments in my life. I wanted to have a record of feelings and experiences at different stages in my life. I do think that I am a very forgetful person, so writing helps me to commit events to memory. Even if I do not remember, I have my writings to fall back to. Once in a while, I too, read my older posts ... and marvel at my feelings at particular moments in time. Among all those posts that I have written, I too have a few personal favourites.

    Whether AT or D, I do think that I have had enough of men for this lifetime. AT was wrong timing. D was hurtful in the end. Suffice to say that I have gotten over both men ... and now it's all me for myself and I. :))

    The apartment - well, i did weigh the pros and cons before buying one. Some of my reasons were that I wanted a small place for myself. I wanted it to be low-maintenance. I wanted it to be gated and guarded so that I would feel secure. Now that I've bought it and now that it's already constructed, I do not know whether I've actually done the right thing or not .... heh. I guess time will tell.

    Well, now as you can see, I do not write as much. Perhaps it's because I'm more mellow these days? My feelings tend to be stronger when I was younger. My work is also more regimented these days - same activities, same duties. They are all pretty mundane. Lately, I know that there are more trip posts because I want to remember where I went, what I did and what I ate.

    But I'm happy to know that I did strike a chord with you with some posts. Do come back and read from time to time. See you!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...