Friday, April 17, 2009

Maggi Mee Curry

In Malaysia, Maggi is synonymous with instant noodles. People will be eating Cintan brand of noodles or Mamee brand of noodles, but they will often say that they are having Maggi.

Every Malaysian probably grew up with Maggi. I know I did. I remember eating it as a child, and I am still eating it now. There are a few must-haves in my larder, and Maggi is one of them. Open my larder any time, and you will find packets of Maggi Mee Curry. It is my favourite of the variety of flavours.

I will always remember a tuition teacher who has said, "Nothing beats a bowl of Maggi Mee and Enid Blyton". To him, Maggi Mee was comfort food. Relaxation. Enjoyment.

I remember when I was studying abroad, packets of Maggi Mee were among the things I would bring with me. No, it wasn't that I was studying in Antartica or something. Maggi Mee Curry was available where I studied. But the taste was just different from the ones locally manufactured here in Malaysia.

Different people have different preferences. I like my noodles to be springy. Whilst I know of some who like them soft and soggy. I like my noodles with lots of soup. My friend, on the other hand, likes it dry. I cannot eat my noodles without vegetables. However, some do not mind their noodles plain.

Different people cook instant noodles in different ways. I prefer to blanch the noodles first, in order to get rid of the starch. Then I'll boil a second pot of water for my broth.

When I'm busy, I end up eating Maggi Mee Curry for dinner. It's one of my all-in-a-pot meals. It's easy to prepare and it's versatile enough for me to add any ingredients that I fancy. I like my Maggi Mee Curry with minced pork, lots of vegetables and an egg yolk.

And that was what I had for dinner tonight.



More veges than noodles, you would say. Well, you are right. Since I prefer more veges than noodles, I only used half a packet of noodles. I needed more fibre than carbohydrates after all.

I would deem my veges-laden Maggi Mee Curry with minced pork and egg yolk a healthy all-in-a-pot dinner. There was fibre, protein and carbohydrates all in one pot. The unhealthiest of the lot would be the flavouring, I suppose.

Whatever it is, I really can't do without my Maggi Mee Curry. By the way, I had a satisfying dinner just now.

1 comment:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...