Sunday, April 26, 2009

Boiled Tapioca With Butter

Recently, my friend and I went to the night market, and we stumbled upon a lady selling tapioca roots. My friend looked at the tapioca with interest as I looked incredulously at her.

"Are you going to buy?" I asked. I had no idea what she wanted to do with it.

"Yeah, it looks good," she said.

"What are you going to do with it?" I asked, curious.

"Eat it, of course." She also said she could hit somebody with it. She sounded pretty serious.

Anyway, the tapioca was bought for RM1.00. My friend peeled, washed and diced it. Then she boiled it in water. She could have steamed it, but she would rather boil it. "It's easier to gauge whether they are cooked or not. I can just peer into the pot and poke the tapioca with a fork." You see, we were not sure how long it took for tapioca to cook.

It was after countless of pokes that we were certain that the tapioca was cooked. The water was then drained. While still hot, my friend dropped a dollop of butter into the pot and smothered each piece of tapioca with it.



And you know what, the result was heavenly - the sweet natural taste of the tapioca blended very well with salted butter. Just take a piece, and pop it into your mouth, and I'm sure you'll come back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...