Monday, June 21, 2010

Lunch @ SCR

Second Aunt and Uncle wanted to bring me to SCR for lunch, and I could not fathom why they chose SCR. I was never impressed with SCR here in Miri.

SCR is the abbreviation for Singapore Chicken Rice, with many outlets around Kuching. Just to name a few, there's one at Jalan Song Thian Cheok, another at the Spring, one outlet at Jalan Song, and another opening soon at Tabuan Plaza.

Anyway, they took me to the outlet at Tabuan Heights Commercial Centre. The restaurant looked clean, was brightly decorated, and air-conditioned. There were quite many customers at noon, and the tiny space on the ground floor was packed. We climbed upstairs to find more seating area.

Every table had jars of ground ginger and tangy ground chilli, and bottles of soy sauce and pepper. Patrons could help themselves to as much or as little of the condiments as they liked.

We ordered 3 sets of chicken rice with steamed chicken. And this is what it looks like :


Each of us got a plate of rice and a bowl of soup, and then a platter of steamed chicken to share. Slivers of sliced cucumber lined the boat-shaped dish, and there were some pickles on the side too. The chicken was doused with a mixture of sesame oil and light soy sauce.

Well, take a spoonful of rice, a slice of chicken, a slice of cucumber. Drench with tangy ground chilli and shovel the food into your mouth. Yum!

Tangy ground chilli

Aunt insisted on ordering a Seafood Cantonese Fried Kueh Tiaw. It came in a mini wok. I thought it looked quite interesting. You can see lots ingredients swimming in the gravy, such as prawns, fish slices, fish balls, crab sticks and lots of mustard greens.


The Kueh Tiaw had a burnt charcoal taste that is so essential for a fried noodle dish. Plus, the sticky egg gravy was really tasty. I do like to recommend this dish to all.

Today's lunch did not disappoint. Admittedly, I had very low expectations of SCR. After today's visit, however, I am glad to say that I had a better impression of this chicken rice chain. Nevertheless, I cannot be assured that I will get the same quality of food at its outlets in Miri. Will I visit SCR in Miri? Hmn ... I cannot enthusiastically say I will. Just wait and see ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...